School of International Liberal StudiesWaseda University

For Current Students

Study Abroad




*Accurate as of September 18, 2020. Subject to periodical change.

Study Abroad (via CIE)

Study Plan 2 (SP2)
*SP2 – students whose mother tongue is NOT Japanese

Students who wish to study abroad may apply. It is NOT mandatory. The period of study is one semester or up to one year. All students can choose from a list of our partner institutions at the University-Wide CIE Study Abroad Programs, offered by the Center for International Education (CIE). SILS students can also apply to the SILS Bilateral Study Abroad Programs, which is unique.

CIE Study Abroad Programs

All students can apply to the programs offered by the CIE. There are three different types.

1. Double Degree Programs(DD)

2. Exchange Programs(EX)

3. Customized Study Programs(CS)

To learn more about the programs, please read HERE.

CIE Study Abroad Program List

To learn more, please refer to the list HERE.

Important Message for Study Abroad Recruitment Fall (September 18): NOTICE

Should you have any questions with regards to the CIE Study Abroad Programs, please contact the CIE directly. Their Office is located on the 1F of Building 22.

Study Abroad (via SILS)

SILS Bilateral Study Abroad Programs

The SILS Bilateral Study Abroad Programs are agreements between the foreign host institutions and the School of International Liberal Studies. Only SILS students are eligible to apply. Study Abroad (EX-R) students are exempted from paying tuition fees to the host institutions.

Please refer to the following information on the Fall AY2020 Outbound Programs. The application is officially closed. More information on the Fall AY2021 Outbound Programs will be announced in the week of September 28.

5BM Programme

The SILS-Sciences Po 5BM Programme is a competitive programme (taught in English) designed for students interested in obtaining a Bachelor’s degree from SILS and a Master’s degree from Sciences Po within 5 years (or 5.5 years for April-entry students). Students shortlisted by SILS and accepted by Sciences Po will be able to spend 2 years in Sciences Po after 3 (or 3.5 years) of study in SILS. Every year, 5 students from SILS will be shortlisted. The first round of pre-selection will begin in the fall of 2019.

The Digital Leaflet is available here.

Application to the programme is currently closed.

Preparations & Schedule

Before Embarking on Study Abroad

Depending on where the host institution is located, the period for Study Abroad will differ. For universities in the Oceania, Central & South America, and South Korea, the Study Abroad period will begin in spring. Universities in North America, Europe, and Singapore commence in fall. SILS students are required to complete at least three semesters before embarking on a Study Abroad Program.

CIE Annual Schedule

Events Information

Credit Transfer

Rules on Credit Transfer

Credits earned during the Study Abroad period can be converted to the equivalent number of Waseda University units, in accordance to the Credit Transfer Methods. It is not possible to directly transfer the number of credits earned at the host institution to Waseda University.

In General

  • Recognition will be given to the total number of credits earned, not to specific course subjects and grades received. With some exceptions, all credits transferred are included in the “Elective Course” category under the SILS curriculum.
  • All approved credits are shown as grade “P” (Passed) with the course title, “Transferred (Study Abroad) ” in the grade report available on My Waseda. On the official transcript, the total number of credits is shown in the remarks column, with the name of the host institution and the period of study.
  • Courses listed on the Official Transcript with a “Passed” grade or above (e.g. A, B, C) qualify for credit recognition. Courses noted as “Failed” or its equivalent are not eligible.
  • The maximum number of exchange credits a student can earn is 40 credits.


To apply for credit recognition, the following documents must be submitted:

  • (~ Returning to SILS from Fall, 2017) Study Abroad Credit Transfer Application Form (via Course [email protected]).
    (Returning to SILS from Spring, 2018~) MyWaseda Application Form
    >Please refer to the link in “Credit Transfer Procedure”.
  • Original official transcript (English) issued by the host institution (hard copy)
    *Please include an English or a Japanese translation if the transcript is NOT available in either language.
    *A transcript in PDF format or an online version will NOT be accepted.
  • Based on the standard course load of the program, the number of local credits, class hours, educational contents, level of difficulty, and the grades achieved in the actual courses taken, the number of credits to be recognized will be determined.
  • SILS students, who have successfully undertaken a standard annual course (two semesters) at their host institution, should expect to receive credits within the range of 32-36.

*Credit Transfer for Other Foreign Language & Japanese Language

  • Students may choose to have the language credits (other than English) earned during the Study Abroad recognized as Other Foreign Language (Compulsory) or Japanese Language (applies only to SP2 students) courses at SILS, instead of “Elective Courses”. Applicants must fulfill the actual class hours to meet the conditions for two credits. One single credit will not be approved.
  • In both cases, the general SILS Curriculum requirements must be complied with, and the following calculation method must be employed:
    Number of Credits = Actual Class Time (in Minutes) ÷ 1350
    Actual Class Time = (No. of Weeks) × (No. of Classes Per Week) × (Minutes Per Class)
    *Omit all figures following the decimal point*
  • Should you wish to transfer course credits as Other Foreign Language or Japanese Language credits, please submit the required documents (syllabus, course homepage, etc.), clearly stating the total number of class hours for the course along with the official transcript to the SILS Office.
  • Recognized credits are shown as grade “P” (Passed) with the course title, “Transferred (Study Abroad)” in the Other Foreign Language or Japanese Language category in the grade report available on MyWaseda.
  • On the official transcripts, the total number of recognized credits, including elective courses, is shown in the remarks column, with the name of the institution and the period of study.

* Credit Transfer for Internship, Tutoring & Volunteer Programs

If the program is listed on the Official Transcript or other official certificate(s), credits may be included in the total number of “Elective Course” credits earned during your Study Abroad. Please submit the application form and the relevant certificate(s) on Course [email protected]

Credit Transfer Procedure

This information is subject to change.

Time Frame Content Detailed Explanations
While Abroad/ Right after Returning from Studying Abroad Submit             Study Abroad Credit Transfer Application Form Please open another tab to log into MyWaseda. Please click on the following link without closing the MyWaseda tab.

[For Students Returning in Spring 2020 Due to Coronavirus Pandemic & Demonstrations in Hong Kong] – From 1300hrs, June 1, 2020, to 1700hrs, January 8, 2021

Course 1 to 15: Form 1

Course 16 onward: Form 2

[For Students Returning in Fall 2020] – From 1400hrs, June 1, 2020, to 1700hrs, January 29, 2021

Course 1 to 15: Form 1

Course 16 onward: Form 2

[For Students Returning in Spring 2020]

Course 1 to 15: Form 1

Course 16 onward: Form 2

You can submit this form from December 26, 2019. The final submission date is June 12, 2020 (1700hrs).
Should you plan to transfer more than 15 courses, please fill out the 15 courses in the form listed above. Please use the following form for the 16th course and after.

After Returning from              Study Abroad Submission of Transcript(s) Please bring back two copies of the transcripts and submit one copy for credit transfer to the SILS Office.
CIE Notification    & Report of Completion Please fill out the Report of Study Abroad Completion.
Notification of Results The evaluation will be based on the data and the transcript(s) you have turned in. To learn about the date of notification, please refer to the schedule for credit transfer.
After Announcement of Results Consultation & Clarification Should you wish to seek clarification in regard to the results, please contact the SILS Office by using our Inquiry Form, within two weeks from the announcement of the results.
In the event your inquiry requires an interview, it will be conducted with the SILS Study Abroad Committee.

Schedule for Credit Transfer

Application Deadlines
(MyWaseda & Transcripts)
Notification of Results
Academic Year 2020 Academic Year 2020
April 6, 2020 (Monday) <Closed> May 12, 2020 (Tuesday)
June 12, 2020 (Friday) July 14, 2020 (Tuesday)
July 10, 2020 (Friday) August 4, 2020 (Tuesday)
September 4, 2020 (Friday) September 29, 2020 (Tuesday)
November 13, 2020 (Friday) December 8, 2020 (Tuesday)
January 8, 2021 (Friday) February 2, 2021 (Tuesday)
January 29, 2021 (Friday)
February 19, 2021 (Tuesday)
AY2021: TBA


  1. The credit transfer process may be delayed if a student from the same program does not complete the procedure, or your application is incomplete. The above-mentioned schedule is subject to change.
  2. The official transcript can be submitted either directly to the SILS Office or by post. We would recommend that should you decide to mail it, please send it by registered post (e.g., Kan-i-kakitome 簡易書留). Please indicate clearly your name and student ID number on the upper right-hand side of the transcript in pencil.
  3. Please request your host institution to send one transcript to your home address, even if you have been informed that it will be sent to Waseda University. Please also ensure that you submit one copy of your transcript to the SILS Office. In the event your host institution fails to provide you with a copy of your transcript, please contact the SILS Office to confirm if your official transcript(s) has arrived.
  4. The original transcript will NOT be returned to the student.
  5. For students who are enrolled beyond the standard four years, the tuition is calculated based on the credits that you have earned for graduation each semester, thus your tuition fee is subject to change. Please refer to the schedule carefully and apply for the credit transfer before the deadline(s).
  6. You have 14 days (including the weekends and national holidays) from the result announcement date to file an appeal.

Mailing Address
Study Abroad Credit Transfer Section
School of International Liberal Studies (SILS)
Waseda University
1-6-1, Nishi-Waseda, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo, Japan 169-8050
*Please write your name, student ID number and the name of the host  institution on the envelope.


Fees for Study Abroad

Program Type Fees
Exchange Programs (EX) Waseda University Fees Only
For some programs, you are required to pay the fees of the host institution fees only.
Customized Study Programs (CS) Program Fees Only
Waseda University Fees Exempted
Double Degree Programs (DD) Will depend on the agreements with each host university
SILS Study Abroad Programs Waseda University Fees Only
  • The ‘program fee’ refers to the total fees required by 1) the host university to support the exchange program and 2) Waseda University to support the Study Abroad program. The fees required by the host institution are first paid to the Center for International Education (CIE) at Waseda University and later remitted to the host institution. In this case, you are NOT required to pay any tuition fees to Waseda University during the term of Study Abroad. Please note that there may be other cases where the program fee is inclusive of 1) school fees only, or 2) school fees, living and miscellaneous expenses.
  • The above school fees are NOT inclusive of air tickets, all other living expenses and textbooks. Please refer to the program list of partner universities for an estimation of the cost of living in the respective countries.

Scholarship & Financial Aid for Study Abroad

The types of scholarships you can apply will include those offered by Waseda University and the host institutions. For more information, please refer to the following link.

Scholarship & Financial Aid

AIMS7 Universities Consortium
Plurilingual and Pluricultural Program

Waseda University received a grant from the Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, through the “Re-Inventing Japan Project: Support for Strategic Higher Education Cooperation with Overseas”.

The focus of this program is to cultivate cosmopolitan people capable of pursuing both regional and global interests. Students will gain a good command of English, a local language, and their native language as a ‘pluri-lingual’.

Please kindly note the grant period has ended on March 31, 2018.

Page Top
WASEDA University

The Waseda University official website
<<>> doesn't support your system.

Please update to the newest version of your browser and try again.


Suporrted Browser