Faculty of Science and EngineeringWaseda University

About the Faculty

Our past and future

A Chronology of Science and Engineering Research at Waseda University

1882 Tokyo College established.
1902 Renamed Waseda University.
1908 in_img013Science and Engineering Department established, along with Mechanical Engineering and Electrical Engineering Divisions.
1909 Mining and Architecture Divisions established.
1916 Applied Chemistry Division established.
1920 Becomes a university under the New University Act; Science and Engineering Department renamed the School of Science and Engineering;
Graduate School established.
1938 Applied Metallurgy Department established in the School of Science and Engineering; Casting Research Center established.
1939 Special Engineering Division established.
1940 Science and Engineering School Research Laboratory established.
1942 Electrical Communications Department established in the School of Science and Engineering.
1943 Industrial Management Department and Civil Engineering Department established in the School of Science and Engineering; Science and Engineering School Research Laboratory reorganized as Science and Engineering Research Laboratory.
1949 Waseda University established under new educational system; eleven departments created in the First School of Science and Engineering: Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mining, Architecture, Applied Chemistry, Metallurgy, Electrical and Communications Engineering, Industrial Management, Civil Engineering, Applied Physics, and Mathematics. Established in the Second School of Science and Engineering are the departments of Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Architecture, and Civil Engineering.
1951 Graduate School Master’s Degree Programs established at Waseda University under the new educational system; Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Structural Engineering, Mining and Metallurgy, and Applied Chemistry established as departments in the Graduate Schools of Engineering.
1953 Doctoral Degree Programs established in the Graduate School.
1954 Applied Physics Department established in the Graduate School of Engineering.
1961 Graduate School of Engineering renamed the Graduate School of Science and Engineering; Mathematics Department established; Mining Department in the First School of Science and Engineering renamed Resource Engineering Department.
1965 Physics Department established in the First School of Science and Engineering.
1967 竣工当時の大久保キャンパスCampus relocated to the Okubo Campus.
1968 Second School abolished; the First School of Science and Engineering renamed the School of Science and Engineering.
1972 Electrical and Communications Engineering Department renamed Electronics and Communications Engineering Department.
1973 Chemistry Department established in the School of Science and Engineering; Applied Physics Department renamed Physics and Applied Physics Department in the Graduate School of Science and Engineering.
1979 Environment Preservation Center established.
1987 Metallurgy Department renamed Materials Engineering Department.
1988 Casting Research Center renamed Kagami Memorial Laboratory for Materials Science and Technology; in the Graduate School, Mining and Metallurgy Department renamed Mineral Resources Engineering and Materials Science and Engineering Department.
1990 Chemistry Department established in the Graduate School of Science and Engineering.
1991 Computer and Information Science Department established in the School of Science and Engineering.
1993 Science and Engineering Research Laboratory reorganized as Advanced Research Institute for Science and Engineering.
1995 Electronics, Information and Communications Engineering Department and Computer and Information Science Department established in the Graduate School of Science and Engineering; Mathematics Department renamed Mathematical Sciences Department.
1996 Electrical Engineering Department renamed Electrical, Electronics and Computer Engineering Department; Industrial Management Department renamed Industrial and Management Systems Engineering Department.
1997 Electrical and Communications Engineering Department renamed Electronics, Information and Communications Engineering Department.
1998 In the School of Science and Engineering: Resource Engineering Department renamed Resources and Environmental Engineering Department; Materials Engineering Department renamed Materials Science and Engineering Department; Mathematics Department renamed Mathematical Sciences Department.
2001 In the Graduate School of Science and Engineering: Mineral Resources Engineering Specialization renamed Earth Sciences, Resources and Environmental Engineering Specialization; Integrative Bioscience and Biomedical Engineering Department established.
2003 In the School of Science and Engineering:
Electrical, Electronics, and Computer Engineering Department, Electronics, Information, and Communication Engineering Department, and Information and Computer Science Department merged and reorganized to form Electrical Engineering and Bioscience Department and Computer Science Department; Civil Engineering Department renamed Civil and Environmental Engineering Department.
In the Graduate School of Science and Engineering: Industrial and Management Systems Engineering Specialization in Mechanical Engineering Department reorganized as Industrial and Management Systems Engineering Department; Architecture Specialization in Architecture and Civil Engineering Department reorganized as Architecture Department; Electrical Engineering Department, Electronics, Information, and Communication Engineering Department, and Information and Computer Science Department merged and reorganized to form Electrical Engineering and Bioscience Department and Computer Science Department. Nano-Science and Nano-Engineering Department established.
2004 Center for English Language Education in Science and Engineering established.
2005 Environment and Energy Engineering Department established in the Graduate School of Science and Engineering.
2006 Kagami Memorial Laboratory for Materials Science and Technology and Advanced Research Institute for Science and Engineering merged and reorganized to form the Waseda Research Institute for Science and Engineering.
2007 現在の西早稲田キャンパスSystem of three undergraduate schools and three graduate schools adopted; Environment and Energy Engineering Department became the independent Graduate School of Environment and Energy Engineering.
2008 100th anniversary of the founding of the School of Science and Engineering;
Center for Advanced Biomedical Sciences established.
2009 Campus name changed to Nishi-Waseda Campus. Graduate School of Global Information and Telecommunication Studies, Graduate School of Information Production and Systems, and Graduate School of Environment and Energy Engineering incorporated into the Faculty of Science and Engineering.
2010 Electronic and Photonic Systems Department established in the Graduate School of Fundamental Science and Engineering; Business Design & Management Department established in the Graduate School of Creative Science and Engineering; three joint departments established in the Graduate School of Advanced Science and Engineering: Advanced Biomedical Sciences, Advanced Health Science, and Nuclear Energy.
International program start.
Page Top
WASEDA University

Sorry!
The Waseda University official website
<<https://www.waseda.jp/fsci/en/>> doesn't support your system.

Please update to the newest version of your browser and try again.

Continue

Suporrted Browser

Close