Alex Coad is a highly-cited scholar in the areas of firm growth, entrepreneurship and innovation, and has published over 70 articles in leading international peer-reviewed journals. Alex is an editor at the journals ‘Research Policy’ (Financial Times Top 50 list of journals for Business Schools) and ‘Small Business Economics.’ Previously Alex obtained a joint PhD from Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne and the Sant’Anna School, Pisa, Italy. In December 2016, Alex received the 2016 Nelson Prize at University of California Berkeley.
Ph.D., Economics, Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (France) and the Sant’Anna School, Pisa (Italy) (joint degree), 2007
M.Sc., Industrial Economics, Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (France), 2004
B.A., Economics, University of Lausanne (Switzerland), 2003
Selected recent journal articles:
- Coad A., Kato M., (2020). Growth paths and routes to exit: ‘Shadow of Death’ effects for new firms in Japan. Small Business Economics, forthcoming. DOI: 10.1007/s11187-020-00341-z
- Stojčić, N., Srhoj, S., & Coad, A. (2020). Innovation procurement as capability-building: Evaluating innovation policies in eight Central and Eastern European countries. European Economic Review, 121, 103330.
- Lundmark E., Coad A., Frankish J., Storey, D. (2019). The liability of volatility and how it changes over time among new ventures. Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice, forthcoming. DOI: 10.1177/1042258719867564
- Coad A., Srhoj S., (2019). Catching gazelles with a LASSO: Big Data techniques for the prediction of High-Growth Firms. Small Business Economics, forthcoming. DOI: 10.1007/s11187-019-00203-3
- Coad A., (2019). Persistent heterogeneity of R&D intensities within sectors: Evidence and policy implications. Research Policy, 48 (1), 37-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2018.07.018
- Coad A., Daunfeldt S.-O., Halvarsson D., (2018). Bursting into life: firm growth and growth persistence by age. Small Business Economics, 50(1), 55-75. DOI: 10.1007/s11187-017-9872-8
- Coad A., (2018). Firm Age: A Survey. Journal of Evolutionary Economics, 28: 13-43. DOI: 10.1007/s00191-016-0486-0
Course in Charge
Time Series Analysis
Seminar: Hot Papers in Finance
Alex has consulted for various organizations (World Bank, OECD, European Commission, etc) and has given keynote speeches around the world (Sweden, France, Belgium, South Korea, Croatia).