Alex Coad is a highly-cited scholar in the areas of firm growth, entrepreneurship and innovation, and has published over 80 articles in leading international peer-reviewed journals. Alex is an editor at the journals ‘Research Policy’ (Financial Times Top 50 list of journals for Business Schools) and ‘Small Business Economics.’ Previously Alex obtained a joint PhD from Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne and the Sant’Anna School, Pisa, Italy. In December 2016, Alex received the 2016 Nelson Prize at University of California Berkeley.
Ph.D., Economics, Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (France) and the Sant’Anna School, Pisa (Italy) (joint degree), 2007
M.Sc., Industrial Economics, Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (France), 2004
B.A., Economics, University of Lausanne (Switzerland), 2003
Selected recent journal articles:
- Coad A., Kato M., (2020). Growth paths and routes to exit: ‘Shadow of Death’ effects for new firms in Japan. Small Business Economics, forthcoming. DOI: 10.1007/s11187-020-00341-z
- Stojčić, N., Srhoj, S., & Coad, A. (2020). Innovation procurement as capability-building: Evaluating innovation policies in eight Central and Eastern European countries. European Economic Review, 121, 103330.
- Lundmark E., Coad A., Frankish J., Storey, D. (2019). The liability of volatility and how it changes over time among new ventures. Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice, forthcoming. DOI: 10.1177/1042258719867564
- Coad A., Srhoj S., (2019). Catching gazelles with a LASSO: Big Data techniques for the prediction of High-Growth Firms. Small Business Economics, forthcoming. DOI: 10.1007/s11187-019-00203-3
- Coad A., (2019). Persistent heterogeneity of R&D intensities within sectors: Evidence and policy implications. Research Policy, 48 (1), 37-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2018.07.018
- Coad A., Daunfeldt S.-O., Halvarsson D., (2018). Bursting into life: firm growth and growth persistence by age. Small Business Economics, 50(1), 55-75. DOI: 10.1007/s11187-017-9872-8
- Coad A., (2018). Firm Age: A Survey. Journal of Evolutionary Economics, 28: 13-43. DOI: 10.1007/s00191-016-0486-0
Course in Charge
Time Series Analysis
Seminar: Hot Papers in Finance
Data Science for Management
Alex has consulted for various organizations (World Bank, OECD, European Commission, etc) and has given keynote speeches around the world (Sweden, France, Belgium, South Korea, Croatia).