Ph. D., Management, University of California – Los Angeles (UCLA), 1999
Ph.D., Economics, University of Tokyo, 1994
M. A., Economics, University of Tokyo, 1987
B. A., Economics, University of Tokyo, 1985
- “Patient Investment of Family Firms in the Japanese Electric Machinery Industry,” Asia Pacific Journal of Management, 30: 697-715, 2013.
- “A New Approach for Understanding Dominant Design: The Case of the Ink-jet Printer,” Journal of Engineering and Technology Management, 25: 137-156, 2008 (with N. Clymer).
- “Why Do Firms Imitate Each Other?” Academy of Management Review, 31: 366-385, 2006 (with M. B. Lieberman).
- “Do Foreign Shareholders Change Japanese Firms?” Hitotsubashi Business Review, 53(2): 46-59, 2005 (in Japanese).
- “Changes in the Determinants of Profit: A Study of Foreign Subsidiaries in Japanese Manufacturing Industries in the 1980s and 1990s,” Advances in International Management, 17: 289-324 2005 (with H. Yamawaki).
- “Inventory Reduction and Productivity Growth: A Comparison of Japanese and US Automotive Sectors,” Managerial and Decision Economics, 18: 73-85, 1997 (with M. B. Lieberman).
- “Competition as a Dialogue: Reinterpretation of Competitive Behavior in the Japanese Electronic Calculator Industry,” Organizational Science, 26(2): 64-79、1992 (with T. Numagami, J. Shintaku, & H. Amikura, in Japanese).
- “How Does the Market Value Management Practices of Japanese Firms? Using Management Practice Survey Data,” in A. Bounfour & T. Miyagawa eds., Intangibles, Market Failure, and Innovation Performance, Springer, 2015 (with A. Kawakami).
- “The Patent System and R&D in Japan,” in A. Goto and H. Odagiri eds., Innovation in Japan. Oxford Univ. Press, 1997 (with Y. Okada).
- “Processing and Product Development Systems in the Japanese Wool Textile and Apparel Industry,” in C. Findley & M. Itoh, Wool in Japan, Harper Educational, 1992 (with T. Fujimoto).
- Economics of Firms, Nikkei Shinjo, 2008 (in Japanese).
- Thinking of Corporate Strategy, Nihon Shinbun Shuppan-sha, 2007 (with M. Sudo, in Japanese).
- Economics of Strategy, Nippon Hyoronsha, 2004 (in Japanese)
- Business System Revolution, NTT Shuppan, 2004 (with T. Nitta, in Japanese).
- The Principle of Competition of Japanese Firms – Empirical Analyses on Similar Behavior, Toyo Keizai, 2002 (in Japanese).
- Competitive and Collaborative Strategies – Toward Industry Standards, Yuhikaku, 1995 (in Japanese).
Courses in charge
Business Data Analysis
Frontier of Competitive Strategy (in Japanese)
Editorial Review Board of Asia Pacific Journal of Management
Editorial Advisory Board of Chinese Management Studies