The Central Library is divided into multiple areas to accommodate different learning styles. Choose the area that best suits your needs.
[Central Library]Floor Guide
Library Use Policy
- Library is a space intended for academic study and research purposes. Please respect others and refrain from non-academic or disruptive behavior. Any user not respecting this policy may be asked to leave the library.
- Examples of unacceptable use include, but are not limited to: loud taking, playing games, using devices for non-learning/research activities, making disruptive noises, playing music, prolonged sleeping, conducting unauthorized organized meeting and events, or occupying spaces.
- Any of the library spaces/facilities cannot be reserved. Please be considerate of others when seated.
No talking on your cell-phones
Please turn them off or set to silent mode and refrain from talking. If unexpectedly you have to take or make a phone call, you can do so in the locker rooms (talking spaces).
No food or snacks are permitted in the library. For light meals, please use the Refresh Area outside the entrance gates. Only drinks with caps which can shut tightly are allowed in designated areas.
No cameras, scanners, or other recording devices
Photocopy or document by user’s own recording devices such as camera or scanner is prohibited. Please use photocopiers in the library or photocopy service by the operators at the Microforms / Photographic Services Room on the fourth floor.
Learning Commons area in the Central Library designed for active learning, where you can discuss things in groups and collaborate with colleagues. Typing on PCs or other devices is allowed. Power outlets and Wi-Fi are available at almost all seats. No reservation needed for using whiteboards or desktop computers with Internet access.
- [2nd floor] Commons 1 (Creation)
12 desktop computers with Internet access, 2 printers, LA Desk, Reference Desk
- [2nd floor] Common 2 (Discussion)
15 desktop computers with Internet access, movable white boards
- [2nd floor] Group Study Room 1/2
Wall white boards, movable white boards, overhead projectors (requires sign up)
- [3rd floor] Commons 3 (Browsing)
2 desktop computers with Internet access
- [3rd floor] Commons 4 (Work)
- [4th floor] Library Lounge
Area for quiet study. No conversation, but typing on PCs or other devices are allowed. Power outlets and Wi-Fi are available at most seats. Please respect those studying or browsing around you by keeping noise and other distractions to a minimum.
- [1st floor] Study Space (Quiet Area)
- [2nd floor] Study Space (Quiet Area)
3 desktop computers with Internet access
- [3rd floor] Study Space (Quiet Area)
- Reading Carrels in the Bound Periodical Collections Room *Drinks are not allowed
- Reading Carrels in the Research Collections Room *Drinks are not allowed
Area for silent study. You are expected to be quieter than in the Quiet Area. No talking, no typing on PCs or other devices are allowed. Only tablets and other devices without typing noise is allowed.
- [1st floor] Study Space (Silent Area)
- [2nd floor] Study Space (Silent Area)
- [3rd floor] Study Space (Silent Area)
Super Silent Area
The quietest area in the Library, designed to help you concentrate on your own learning. No talking, no electronic devices including cell phones and no drinking are allowed. Please be considerate of others in maintaining a silent environment and keep noise to a minimum even when writing or turning pages.
Super Silent Area:
- [2nd floor] Silent Reading Room 1
- [3rd floor] Silent Reading Room 2
Area outside the entrance gates, where you can eat a snack. Take a little break from studying and refresh!
- Use of this area is only for short breaks. Please refrain from loud talking and extended stay.
- Refrain from consuming hot soups and other food with a strong smell. Please leave the area clean after you’ve finished.
- No food or drinks without caps that shut tightly (e.g., paper cups) should be brought in to the library, even if purchased in the Refresh Room. Please consume them in the Refresh Area.
- [2nd floor outside the entrance gates] Refresh Room
- [2nd floor outside the entrance gates] Refresh Corner