The history of Waseda University Library begins in 1882 with the establishment of a library room in the school building when the University was originally founded as Tokyo Senmon Gakko. When the name was changed to Waseda University in 1902, a separate library facility was constructed. In 1925, a new library building (the present Building No. 2) was completed. In 1991 the Central Library was opened, and the functions of the main library were relocated there.