Now with a greatly expanded Learning Commons through August 2018 to March 2020, Central Library has a new look! We invite you to decide how you want to use these wonderfully convenient new areas and facilities. The new areas work in tandem with the Library’s traditional peace and quiet, so that you can make the most of your time in one of the most extensive library collections in Japan.
*Announcement about the 1st stage renovation on April 1st, 2019 is here.
[1st floor] Commons (Research)
An area where researchers can promote an exchange of ideas through discussions and collaborative works and create new results.Please put your baggage in a locker and ask to enter the Research Collections area at the Research Collections Desk on 1st floor
In order to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus, group stay and conversation are prohibited temporarily.
- Conversation related to your research with colleagues is allowed. Please be careful not to talk in loud voice and refrain from disturbing others work.
- Rearrange the tables and chairs to suit your discussion or collaborative work.
- Use the movable white boards, plug in your own computer, or connect via Wi-Fi.
- With individual users’ needs in mind, some desks and sofas are adjusted to use for personal use.
[4th floor] Library Lounge (*Closed for the time being)
- Desks and sofas are renewed to adjust to use as a study space than the former lounge.
- Improved the Wi-Fi environment.
- You can also use this lounge as a relaxing space where you can exchange ideas with others or take a break during your studying.
[Basement 1st floor] Group Research Room 1/2/3 （*Opening postponed for the time being）
An area where you can research in a group using research collections.
- Capacity 6 people. For faculty and graduate students.
- Reservations can be made up to 1 week in advance.
- A monitor that can project images from your laptop is available. Plug in your own computer or connect via Wi-Fi.
[Basement 1st/2nd floor] Private Reading Room
Especially for researchers! A private room where you can concentrate to research with library materials.
- For faculty and graduate students.
- Plug in your own computer or connect via Wi-Fi.
- Book trucks for carry research collections are available in all rooms.
[2nd floor] Quiet Area / Silent Area
- Carpets have been renewed according to the image colors of the Area Rule, resulting in an area visibilable and a more comfortable space.
[4th floor] AV Room
- Audio-Visual materials are available. Materials cannot be taken off library premises. Although the function of the room does not change, some facilities and aging carpets have been renewed.
Guide to Zoning in the Library
Different rules apply to each area. Choose the area that best suits your needs. We ask that you abide by the rules that apply to the different areas of the Library.