Applications for the exchange program must be submitted online and by post.
To apply, please follow the steps listed below. Please be sure to check the procedures carefully, since incomplete applications will not be accepted.
If you wish to join the exchange program, please check with the staff in charge of study abroad at your home university.
In addition, general information regarding the exchange program can be downloaded from
Checking the curriculum and choosing a program, school and department
- There are application requirements such as language proficiency and GPA as well as limitations such as entrance periods, grades and departments, so please check these conditions thoroughly before making your selection. Application requirements are strictly enforced: if you do not meet the requirements, you cannot apply.
- Some schools and departments do not offer classes in English.
- Wherever there is a choice of departments, please select one.
- Please confirm the location of the campus of the school where you wish to study. For example, the Tokorozawa and Honjo campuses are located in Saitama Prefecture and the Kitakyushu campus is in Fukuoka Prefecture.
1.Read the online application questions
Please read the online questions before beginning your online application.
Online application questions
2.Prepare the required documents
(a) Please check the requirements and prepare the following online application documents, which must be uploaded.
List of Documents to be uploaded for Application for Exchange Program
- The study plan is considered an important criterion for selection. If your statement of your intended study plan at Waseda is not clear, or if your intention is not in line with the content of the program, school or department that you wish to enter, you might not be selected. Therefore, please examine the curriculum carefully before applying.
- In cases where a score on a language-proficiency test is a requirement, you are required to take that test and obtain an official score before you apply.
(b) Completion of application for a Certificate of Eligibility(COE)
Those who have no Japanese nationality and no status of residence are required to complete a COE application form, prepare documents concerning defraying expenses, and send all of them by post.
Application form for Certificate of Eligibility (COE)*You can type in your answers into this PDF file.
Completion guide: Application for COE
3.Informal advance agreement of supervisor (required by some graduate schools)
In some graduate schools, the applicant must make a contact with the faculty member by whom the applicant wishes to be supervised and obtain the faculty member’s informal agreement of acceptance before applying.
For more information, please download
Application Requirements and Restrictions
During the application period, information must be inputted into the online application form. The URL for the online application will be announced to the relevant staff in charge at partner universities.
At the same time, the required documents must be uploaded in scanned data form. Data such as mobile phone photographic data are not acceptable. Scans must be clear and legible.
After you have inputted all the information into the Online Application Form, the confirmation screen will appear. The confirmation screen will show all the information that you have entered. Please print out the confirmation screen and the files you have uploaded (Study Plan, etc.) and hand them to your home university’s program coordinator.
Submission of the online application is not the end of the application process.
The following materials must be sent by trackable post through the partner university’s study abroad coordinator. We will not accept direct documents from students.
Screening will be conducted at the relevant undergraduate or graduate school, depending on the application materials received. The screening will take a few months, since a large volume of applications must be processed. If necessary, the school will start sending inquiries to applicants one month or more after applications close.
Waseda University will send “Notification of Acceptance” emails to the staff in charge at partner universities. Please reply the “Housing Questionnaire (HQ)” (regarding residence matters such as dormitory assignment) via the specified web form.
The notification of dormitory assignment will be sent in late February for April entry and in mid July for September entry.
COE and COA will be sent to the staff in charge at the partner universities. Please be aware that these documents will not be sent directly to students. Please include these documents with your visa application, which you will submit at your local Japanese embassy or Japanese consulate.
Please come to Japan on the designated date.
Those who will stay in the dormitory for exchange students can use the pick-up service from Narita Airport.
After arrival, students will attend a general orientation organized by the Center for International Education, register their residence at the ward office, subscribe to national health insurance, open a bank account, attend an academic orientation at their undergraduate or graduate school, and register for their courses before classes start.