Center for International EducationWaseda University

Student Exchange Program

Practical Matters



W-Mentor team supports Waseda University life for exchange students. This team is organized by Sempai volunteers which consists of Japanese and International Waseda students.

In order to relieve some concerns about Waseda life, W-mentor created FAQ for exchange students! If you still have any concerns that are not listed here, please feel free to ask us from our facebook page!


MEXT Scholarship

Japan’s Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) is accepting applications for government sponsored scholarships for foreign students studying Japanese language and culture in Japanese universities. Students planning to enter Waseda’s Japanese Language Program (JLP) are eligible applicants for this grant, but the recommendation of their home university is required.

  • Scholarship: 117,000 yen per month (tentative) and travel expenses one round trip
  • Period of scholarship: 11 months, from September to July of the following year
  • Application period will be announced via email.
  • Eligibility and conditions: Exchange students who plan to enter Waseda’s Japanese Language Program for one year. This scholarship is only available to undergraduate students. For more details, please download the application requirements in a PDF.

Information on admission for 2019

JASSO Student Exchange Support Program -Scholarship for Short-term Study in Japan-

This scholarship will be granted to exchange students (undergraduate and graduate students) whose academic performance meets the standard designated by Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO) and who intend to return to their home university after this exchange program to continue their studies or to obtain a degree at their home university. Waseda University will recommend candidates to JASSO and the final selection will be done by JASSO. FAQ about JASSO

  • Scholarship: 80,000 yen per month (tentative)
  • Period of the grant: maximum 11 months
  • Eligibility and conditions
  1. Those who are not of Japanese nationality (status of residence must be “student”)
  2. Those who have demonstrated a history of academic excellence at their home university
  3. For those receiving an exchange program scholarship from another organization, the monthly amount of the grant may not exceed 80,000 yen. Some scholarship organizations do not allow receipt of more than one scholarship, so applicants must take responsibility for confirming such details with the relevant organizations.
  • Number of selections: Varies by year
  • Application method: State your intention to apply in an Online Application form
  • Announcement of results:  Waseda’s Center for International Education will let partner universities know which of their students who applied for the JASSO scholarship were recommended by Waseda and which were not.  Final decision will be made by JASSO. When we learn the final results (usually at the end of September for autumn admission and at the end of April for spring admission), we will inform the partner universities of who were selected and who were not.


  • The JASSO scholarship is highly competitive, therefore even those students who fulfill the above requirements are not guaranteed to receive a scholarship. Please be aware that we cannot answer any inquiries related to the results of the selection process.
  • Please do not plan your budget based on the assumption that you will receive a scholarship. This scholarship cannot serve as proof of ability to pay expenses in the application for a certificate of eligibility.
  • JASSO scholarship recipients are required to complete and submit the JASSO questionnaire, a report regarding the benefits of the student exchange program and academic transcript documents.


Support Procedure for Students with Disabilities and Concerns

Waseda University will do utmost to ensure students who need support carry out their studies. If you ask for support by Waseda University during your period of studies,please refer to  procedure  and take necessary actions,especially at the time of application.
Page Top
WASEDA University

The Waseda University official website
<<>> doesn't support your system.

Please update to the newest version of your browser and try again.


Suporrted Browser