After passing the Primary Screening held by the Japanese embassy or consulate, candidate who wish to enter our university as a MEXT student needs to apply for the “Letter of Acceptance” from our university.
It is not necessary to contact your desired supervisor beforehand. To apply for the Letter of Acceptance, please send us two sets of photocopy of the following items by air mail (electronic application is not accepted):
- Completed Information Sheet. Downloadable from here:
- A copy of the “Passing Certificate of the Primary Screening” issued by Japanese embassy/consulate
- A copy of ALL the documents submitted to the embassy/consulate when applying for the MEXT scholarship, including all certificates of degrees and transcripts of undergraduate level and higher
- If available, a copy of your certificate of language proficiency, either in Japanese or English (TOEIC, TOEFL, IELTS, etc) depending on in which language you plan to study.
- Three photos of yourself (4cm x 3cm)
All application documents must arrive at the Center for International Education
no later than 5 pm, Japan time, on August 31(Thursday) 2017
- Please note that we are not able to accept requests after the deadline.
- We are not able to process the documents and inquiries during the closed period of our offices from August 11 to 20 for a summer vacation.
For applicants who are not native English speaker but wish to study in English, submission of certificate of English proficiency is in principle necessary. If you have not obtained any certificate of English proficiency, please submit a support letter composed by a professor who can prove your English proficiency. If English is the medium of instruction in your university (meaning that the courses are provided entirely in English), a paper issued by your university proving this point could also serve as a certificate of English proficiency.
- Our center’s address is: Waseda University Center for International Education, Waseda MEXT Team.
1-7-14-4F Nishi Waseda, Shinjuku-ku, 169-0051 Tokyo, Japan
- Information regarding our graduate schools
- Information regarding our researchers
- Your desired research professor must be affiliated with your desired graduate school. You may check each professor’s affiliation via each graduate school homepage.
Due to the huge number of application, it would be difficult for us to confirm receipt of documents with each applicant. Please send your documents by express mail, so that you would be able to confirm the delivery status through the shipping company.
The process of the application for Letter of Acceptance usually takes around three weeks, and the result, whether it’s positive or negative, will be sent to the address on the “information sheet”. Please note that we cannot send any results via e-mail.