After passing the Primary Screening held by the Japanese embassy or consulate, candidates who wish to enter our university as a MEXT student need to apply for a “Letter of Acceptance” from our university.
In order to apply for a Letter of Acceptance, please fill out the “Application Form for a Letter of Acceptance”* with the necessary information, upload all application documents (PDF or Word format) and submit.:
(Documents needed for Application)
1. Passing Certificate of the First Screening
2. Application form
3. Field of Study and Research Plan
4. Academic transcript for all academic years of university attended (undergraduate and above) in English or Japanese
5. Certificate of graduation (or completion) or degree certificate of the university attended (undergraduate and above) in English or Japanese. If you have yet to finish your course at the time of application and is expected to graduate/complete, submit a certificate of prospective graduation (or completion).
6. Recommendation letter from the president/dean or the academic advisor at the current or last university attended
7. Abstracts of theses, etc. (*Only if submitted to the Japanese diplomatic mission)
8. Certificate of language proficiency (e.g. JLPT/TOEIC, TOEFL, IELTS certificate in Japanese or English)
9. Letter of recommendation from your current superior at your place of work (*Only if submitted to the Japanese diplomatic mission).
10. *The following only concerns MEXT-ASCOJA students: If you are an ASCOJA recommended MEXT-ASCOJA student, please submit documents that prove you are such a student by submitting a certificate (letter of recommendation), a written oath to ASJA (Asia Japan Alumni) International, etc.
e.g.: The Letter of the Japanese-Language preparatory education (ASCOJA)
＊Note) If you are NOT a MEXT-ASCOJA student, you do not need to submit these documents.
FYR: ASJA (ASJA International) https://asja.gr.jp/en/
* How to register information on the Application Form for a Letter of Acceptance: Click on the “申請/Submit” button in the center of the page, type in your information for each question and attached required images, click on the “保存/Save” button in the lower right-hand corner, and click on “はい/Yes”.
- It is not necessary to contact your desired supervisor beforehand.
- Documents submitted to the Japanese Embassy must have a confirmation seal. Even if there is no seal on the documents, you will still need to submit the returned documents from the Embassy.
- Please take note that documents with unclear or illegible letterings and images will not be accepted as application documents.
- Your desired research professor must be affiliated with your desired graduate school. You may check each professor’s affiliation via each graduate school homepage.
Information regarding our graduate schools: http://www.waseda.jp/top/en/academics
Information regarding our researchers: https://w-rdb.waseda.jp/search?m=home&l=en
Application guidelines of our graduate schools: MEXT_Embassy_recommendation_2022
- For applicants who are not native English speaker but wish to study in English, submission of a certificate of English proficiency is in principle necessary. If you have not obtained any certificate of English proficiency, please submit a support letter composed by a professor who can prove your English proficiency. If English is the medium of instruction in your university (meaning that the courses are provided entirely in English), a paper issued by your university proving this point could also serve as a certificate of English proficiency.
Application Form for a Letter of Acceptance
The maximum size of a file that can be attached is 30MB. There is no need to send them by post.
Application Deadline *updated on June 11, 2021
23:59, Friday, August 27, 2021 (Japan time)
* The application form must be submitted online.
- Please note that we are not able to accept requests after the deadline.
- We are not able to process the documents and inquiries during the closed period of our offices from August 7 to 16 for a summer vacation.
- The process of the application for Letter of Acceptance usually takes around one month, so it is highly recommended that you give yourself plenty of time.
- The result of your application will be notified through the e-mail address you entered in the application form.