Master’s Thesis Research Plan
September Completion：March in the same year
March Completion：September in the previous year
Who to submit
*The contents, deadline, and other details regarding submission should be confirmed with supervisor in advance to the designated deadline.
Download from here (Approx 3 pages. A4)
Eligibility to submit MA thesis
- Those who obtained/are expected to obtain the designated 22 credits
- Those who have submitted MA thesis research plan
Master’s Thesis Examiners
Master’s thesis examiners: one chief examiner and two deputy-examiners.
Criteria for Master’s Theses at the Graduate School of Asia-Pacific Studies
- Originality and insightfulness of perspective, methodology, content, and conclusion
- Appropriateness and importance of thesis topic
- Appropriateness of structure of thesis for addressing the thesis topic
- Effective use of existing research and contribution to the field
- Appropriate substantiation of data and materials
- Strength and persuasiveness of argumentation in the development of the thesis
- Accurateness, appropriateness and completeness in the use of terminology and concepts
- Clarity and accurateness of language
- Accurateness, appropriateness, and completeness of quotations, citations, use of materials and structure of the bibliography
- Excellence of thesis as a contribution to the fields of Area Studies, International Relations, and/or International Cooperation / Policy Studies
- Consult with your supervisor for details on research plan and thesis submission.
- The annoucement of Master’s thesis examiners’ list and the schedule of oral examination will be notified on the notification board/MyWaseda.
- Thesis and summary will become available in the GSAPS library.
- School Policy on “Plagiarism” in Term Paper and Thesis
Submission Schedule ※Updated on April 21,2020
See here for the schedule for September 2020 and March 2021 completion.
Submission Deadline ※Updated on April 21,2020
10:00, 15 July, 2020 – 17:00, 17 July 2020 (for those who will complete in September, 2020)
12:00, 6 Jan, 2021 – 17:00, 8 Jan, 2021 (for those who will complete in March, 2021)
Master’s Thesis Writing Guidelines
- In Japanese or English
- Single-sided printed
- A top margin 35mm and a margin of 30mm on all remaining sides
Download a thesis cover from here and change parts in red.
Font(updated on 9 April, 2019)
Times New Roman
About 8,500 words excluding the title, table of contents, a list of reference and space
*Put the count in the designated section on the front cover.
How to prepare
Refer to the list of items below, bind the documents in a folder, and stick cover sheets on the front and the spine respectively.
*2 hole binder recommended (purchasable at the CO-OP)
The sample is available here (pictures) and outside the Office/in the GSAPS Library (Floor 8).
*Make sure to seek instruction from your supervisor regarding how to write a thesis and other academic matters.
Summary (updated on 9 April, 2019)
Contents: research aim, main results, components of thesis, main reference list
A4(horizontal)・2 pages・one-sided printing ・1,300 words (about)
Download the format from here.
Items to be submitted
||Where to submit
|Thesis and Summary
*Bind the documents in the order below.
（Blank paper ＋ Summary ＋Blank paper ＋Cover of thesis ＋Thesis ＋Blank paper）
|3 Copies/ Printed
*One copy for each examiner
|Attestation of Authorship and Check List
||1 Copy / Printed
|PDF file of thesis (Cover of thesis and thesis itself) and summary
【Title of File】
Thesis:Student ID number<ex：40XXR001>
Summary:Student ID number ＋－S<ex：40XXR001-S>
※Only the first 8 digits. “-S” is common for all students (standing for summary). No other information (name or date) should be included.
※You cannot resubmit the file, and the Office does not edit the files. Submit them after confirming everything is perfect.
※Make one digital file respectively for thesis and summary.
Please check the manual(PDF) for checking how to submit the data from Course [email protected]
|PDF File/ Data
||To the designated folder on Course [email protected]