In the face of COVID-19 pandemic, SSS TAISI has decided to take the following measures for 2021 April/September Entry applicants.
1. Test optional policy
We acknowledge that the pandemic has led to cancellations and postponement of standardized tests/university entrance examinations all over the world. In response to such unprecedented circumstances, the submission of the results of university entrance qualification examinations/standardized tests will be optional for applicants for 2021 April/September admission.
When making the decision on whether or not to include your exam results in your application, the followings should be taken into consideration;
- SSS TAISI does not plan to adopt a test-optional policy permanently and considers the exam results as an important factor to evaluate the applicants’ academic ability. Applicants who have taken/can take the exams are encouraged to submit the exam results to demonstrate their academic ability and potential.
- However, submission of test scores alone will NOT determine the screening result. Document screening will be conducted in a holistic and contextual way, thus applicants will not be unfairly penalized by not submitting the exam results.
- All applicants are still required to submit a document to prove their applicant qualification.
(e.g. If you are applying as a holder of the following qualifications, you will still be required to submit a certificate to prove your eligibility; International Baccalaureate Diploma, Baccalauréat, Abitur, or General Certificate of Education Advanced Level)]
2. English proficiency test accommodations
The basic rules stay the same for English proficiency test scores; the submission will NOT be waived unless you submit a certificate of university entrance qualification examination/standardized test administered for an education system in which the first language is English (such as SAT, ACT, GCE, IBDP entirely taught in English). However, SSS TAISI will accept the following English proficiency test scores in addition to the currently accepted test scores (TOEFL iBT, IELTS(Academic))
– TOEFL(iBT) Special Home Edition
– IELTS indicator
- Test scores must be directly sent to the SSS TAISI Admissions office. For detailed submission methods, please refer to the Application Guidelines.
- If you originally planned to submit the results of university entrance qualification examination/standardized test conducted in English but cannot/plan not to submit the test scores, you are required to submit English proficiency test scores to demonstrate your English proficiency regardless of your native language.
- If you cannot submit any of the designated English proficiency test scores, please contact the SSS TAISI Admissions Office in advance.
For more detail, please refer to the Application Guidelines; https://www.waseda.jp/fsss/sss/en/applicants/admission/
The above measures are only effective for TAISI Admission for 2021 April/September Entry as of 27 July, 2020. The SSS TAISI Admissions Office will continue to carefully observe the influence of the pandemic and may take additional measures.