Created by the Research Promotion Division at Waseda University as a central reference for issues concerning the variety of systems intended to support graduate students in their academic endeavors, the Research & Scholarship Manual provides an overview of the use of facilities, Waseda University schemes, and support measures offered by other organizations, particularly the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS). This useful reference document can be freely downloaded from the Research Promotion Division website.
Waseda Review of Socio-Science is a scholarly journal published by the Waseda University Institute for Advanced Social Sciences with the goal of advancing the Institute’s core principles by publishing selected research by Institute members, full-time faculty members in Waseda University’s Faculty of Social Sciences, students in Waseda University’s Graduate School of Social Sciences, and others. Socio-Science publishes a broad range of original research encompassing social sciences and their interdisciplinary studies with humanities, engineering and natural sciences.
We will accept your paper three times a year. Please refer to the Website of the Institute for Advanced Social Sciences for more details such as submission schedule, submission rules, Open Journal System, and submission template.
Call for submission to The Waseda Journal of Social Sciences39
1) Publication Outline
The Waseda Journal of Social Sciences is a scholarly periodical published by the GSSS in order to further promote its core principles by introducing selected achievements in research by students of the graduate school based on the recommendations of supervisors.
- (a) Submissions to the Waseda Journal of Social Sciences may be made by students enrolled in the graduate school (not including non-degree students), graduates having completed the master’s program within the past two years, former students having attended the doctoral program and received the prescribed research guidance for at least three years, and students who have withdrawn from the school within the past three years, and other persons authorized to do so on an individual basis by the Graduate School Steering Subcommittee.
- (b) Contributors can contribute either research papers or research notes as defined below.- Research paper: A document summarizing achievements in original research.
– Research notes: A relatively short document presenting achievements in original research and focusingon timeliness, substantiating evidence, and insight.
Only materials pertaining to unannounced and unpublished research can be accepted. A Master’s thesis cannot be accepted as is.
- (c) Titles within research papers and research notes shall not include numbers such as “(1)” intending to show serial progression.
- (d) The submitted manuscript of a research paper shall be no more than sixteen pages in length when printed out, including the title, subtitle, names of authors, body text (including figures and tables), explanatory notes, and references. Research notes shall be no more than eight pages in length when printed out, with similar conditions applying.
- (e) Information on writing guidelines, manuscript style, the required format for the submitted manuscript, and the like shall be provided via the GSSS website.
- (f) Students wishing to submit a manuscript shall also submit an opinion form and a recommendation form completed by his or her supervisor and an English title & Romanized name registration form. It should be noted that research papers and research notes from the Waseda Journal of Social Sciences may be published in digital form by the GSSS itself or by related institutions entrusted by the GSSS.
- (g) The editing committee shall, based on the recommendations of supervisors, consider each contribution and make the final decision regarding whether or not to include specific research papers and research notes. It should be noted that the Graduate School Steering Subcommittee may request that the authors makes corrections to their manuscripts.
- (h) Information pertaining to the schedule for acceptance of applications, for submission of manuscripts, and for publication shall be provided via the GSSS website and notice boards.
- (i) Contributors having research papers or research notes accepted for publication at the Waseda Journal of Social Sciences are not allowed to publish articles with the same contents at other periodicals or journals. If materials accepted for publication by the GSSS are published with the same contents by other periodicals or journals, the contribution will be annulled.
- (j) The copyrights of the research papers and research notes published by the Waseda Journal of Social Sciences shall belong to the author. However, when the author submits research papers or research notes, he or she shall be deemed to have entrust the timing of official announcement of the publication to the GSSS.
- (k) If the Graduate School of Social Sciences decides to utilize the published research paper or research notes, it must first obtain permission from the author.
- (l) In the case of publication through digitalization of an issue of the Waseda Journal of Social Sciences by the GSSS or related institutions entrusted by the GSSS, permission from the author must be obtained.
- (m) The infringement of third parties’ copyrights will be the sole responsibility of the author who shall bear all legal responsibilities.Appendix: These regulations shall come into effect on September 21th, 2016.
3) Publication schedule
||Early March to Late May
||Late September to Early December
＊Before submission, you must have taken research guidance courses with your research supervisor.