Graduate School of Political ScienceWaseda University

For Prospective Students


How to Apply

Yes. The master’s and doctor’s program allow you to obtain degrees taught only in English on the Political Science Course. The English language program is offered only to students joining the University in September for the master’s program, and to students joining the university in either April or September for the doctor’s course.

Yes. It is possible to apply in the same period. When doing so, please only pay the entrance examination fee for the master’s program or professional degree course. You do not need to pay the non-degree student selection fee when applying in the same period.

Yes. It is possible for a proxy in Japan to pay the fee. In such cases, always make sure that the application is carried out in the name of the applicant.

Master’s Program

No. There is no need for advance contact. Please be aware that it is not possible to specify a supervising professor in advance.

No. If English is your native language or if you graduated from a program held in English at an English-speaking university, you do not need to submit an English language certificate.

If you will not receive your score by the application deadline, print out the scores you are able to view on the website and submit this instead. You will need to make an additional submission of your official score as soon as you receive it.

Passing the entrance examination on its own is not enough to apply for a new student visa or to extend a student visa. You can only carry out visa procedures when you have paid the admission fee and the prescribed academic fees, and completed admissions procedures by submitting all other necessary documents. In the case of April entry to the University, admissions procedures are completed in early March. However, applications to process admissions are accepted in December from overseas applicants only. In the case of September entry, admissions applications are accepted in late June. Please carry out visa applications after this time.

Doctoral Program

An overall judgment is made based on your application materials, master’s thesis and interview. All applicants must submit their language test score cards (TOEFL, TOEIC or IELTS) when applying. Please sit an English language proficiency test prior to application so that you are able to submit a scorecard (from the past two years).

In order to obtain residence status, an overseas non-degree student needs to register for courses of at least ten hours per week throughout the year (equivalent to at least 7 major subject courses and Japanese language courses). What’s more, in addition to registering for the above auditing courses at the Graduate School of Political Science, it is also necessary to register for the Japanese language course at the Center for Japanese Language and to pay the Japanese language course auditing fees. Japanese language course applications are carried out after admission to the University has been completed. Details are sent to students who have completed admission procedures. When applying to the Graduate School of Political Science, please only apply for the courses that you wish to audit at the Graduate School of Political Science.

In most years, next year’s courses are decided in December. There are times when the courses successfully entered onto by students who passed the entrance examination in September are not held. In such cases, the Graduate School of Political Science office will contact the affected students and ask them to select alternative courses.

If you do not register for courses offered by the Graduate School of Political Science in the Fall Semester, your enrollment at the Graduate School will end on September 20. Even if you are planning to register for language courses at the Center for Japanese Language, unless you register for courses at the Graduate School of Political Science your enrollment will end and you will not be allowed to register for language courses. Please be careful.


Waseda University offers numerous scholarship systems. What’s more, JASSO and various other foundations accept applications for scholarships on an ongoing basis. As a general rule, you should apply for scholarships after admission, but there are also scholarships offered by organizations other than the University that you can apply for prior to admission.

Yes. Student dormitories are available for students of Waseda University. For details, please ask Waseda University’s Residence Life Center.

A cosignatory is needed to rent rooms, but as a general rule you need to take responsibility for finding your own cosignatory. However, if you have only just arrived in Japan and you really cannot find a cosignatory it is possible to use the rental guarantor service offered by the University’s associate company WASEDA UNIVERSITY PROJECT MANAGEMENT CORP.

Try having a look here.


This is the online version of Waseda University’s student life handbook. It is available in both Japanese and English.

(2) Kouhainavi Blog

Students currently enrolled at Waseda University offer support to students who are planning to join their faculties. As part of these efforts, blog articles are posted with the aim of helping to resolve potential concerns prior to admission. This may also be useful for new students planning to join the graduate schools.

Page Top
WASEDA University

The Waseda University official website
<<>> doesn't support your system.

Please update to the newest version of your browser and try again.


Suporrted Browser