I want to try a volunteer activity!
I want to make new Japanese friends!
I like kids!
I’m interested in teaching about my culture!
I’m thinking of teaching after graduation!
If any of these sound like you, then the ICC Outreach program is for you!
The ICC Outreach Program pairs Japanese and international students to work together to create a lesson plan for a class meant to promote cross-cultural understanding. The lessons are then taught to local Japanese elementary, junior, and senior high school students to help foster intercultural understanding.
Details of the program will be explained by the ICC at an orientation.
Afterward, you and your partner will work together to prepare the lesson plan until the day of the lesson.
(Students in each pair will exchange contact information and prepare their class together from home using Zoom, LINE etc.)
Due to effects of the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), the actual lesson will take place online over Zoom from the ICC Lounge.
*There is a possibility that this program may be cancelled or the actual lesson will be done from home due to the spread of the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19). In that case you will be notified as soon as possible by the ICC.
Outreach Program Introduction Video
November 4th (Wed.) 10:40 am-11:30 am
2nd grade high school (15 students)
Content & Program
Introduce your country and culture (online lesson 50 minutes)
(Create and practice a lesson plan together with your partner, then carry it out at the ICC Lounge over Zoom)
9:40 Meet up with your partner at the ICC Lounge and prepare for the class
10:40-11:30 Online lesson over Zoom
Waseda Students who can attend the meetings & class
6 students (3 local & 3 international students)
Register online using MyWaseda.
October 6th (Tue.), 9:00 am (Results are sent by email on the same day, please check your inbox)
Oct. 20 (Tue.) 12:20-12:50pm Orientation on Zoom.
Oct. 28 (Wed.) 10:30-11:30am Lesson plan review MTG on Zoom.
*In addition to the above meeting, it is necessary to meet several times with your assigned partner in order to plan, prepare, and practice the lesson.
*Although this is a volunteer program, participants will be teaching a class at a scheduled time and school, and so dropping out of the program or being late is not acceptable.
Participants will be decided after considering your reasons for applying, and also according to the details/requests from Waseda Setsuryo High School.
◆International student’s perspective: https://www.waseda.jp/inst/weekly/report-en/2017/08/08/33447/
◆Japanese student’s perspective: https://www.waseda.jp/inst/icc/news-en/2017/10/07/7886/
◆Junior high school student’s perspective: https://www.waseda.jp/inst/icc/news-en/2017/10/07/7885/
Precautions to Prevent the Spread of the Novel Coronavirus
1. We ask that those affected by the following refrain from participating in this event.
・Those who have a fever (above 37.5C or more than 1 degree above normal) or symptoms of a cold and/or those who currently feel unwell (symptoms of fatigue or breathlessness etc.).
・Those who have travelled to countries or regions and/or have been in close contact with residents of these places within the previous 14 days where the government has implemented immigration restrictions or still requires a quarantine period to enter.
・Those who have family members and/or housemates they are living with that have shown symptoms of cold etc.
2. We ask that participants please wear a mask at all times. Also, that they observe strict hand disinfection and coughing/sneezing etiquette.
3. Regarding trash, please bring your own plastic trash bag with you and use it to keep your trash, please close the bag tightly when it is not being used.
4. Please take strict care of your health from 2 weeks before the program right through to the end (regularly check your temperature and be aware of any other symptoms). We also ask that you avoid the 3 Cs (crowds, confined spaces and close contact situations) and fill in a health check form (we will share this form with you later on).
5. In the event that you have a fever, cough or other symptoms during the program, we ask that you contact a member of staff immediately and that you withdraw from the program.
6. In the event that you begin to show symptoms within 2 weeks after the end of the program we ask that you notify us immediately.
7. We ask that you follow all instructions on the day from ICC regarding measures for the prevention of the spread of the Novel Coronavirus.
8. Participation in this program may pose health and safety risks. Furthermore, there is a risk that the event itself may be harmed due to a person’s illness.
If any of the above occurs, it will be the responsibility of the person concerned.
E-mail: [email protected]