ICC Student Staff Leaders (SSL) are a driving force behind the ICC’s events and activities.
By making use of Student Staff Leaders’ own viewpoints, ideas and unique skills, diverse opportunities for cross-cultural exchange that meet the needs of current students can be effectively provided. The ICC strives to assist Student Staff Leaders to develop into leaders capable of functioning in an increasingly global society.
Student Staff Leaders not only actively plan and manage events and recruit event supporters, but also promote the ICC’s activities by conducting presentations for local and international guests of the university, support the everyday operation of the center through office work and responding to inquiries, and other various tasks. In many ways, SSL are an indispensable feature of the ICC.
Becoming a Student Staff Leader is more than just an ordinary part-time job. Similar to an internship, SSL are expected to take part in a wide range of duties and as a result gain valuable skills and experiences that will no doubt be of use in future positions after graduation. Why not take the challenge, and help the ICC to fulfill its mission?
The ICC provides opportunities for cross-cultural exchange between local and international students/faculty, aiming to promote mutual understanding that goes beyond cultural differences. The ICC is currently recruiting new student staff who will be engaged in various activities, from planning and coordination of cross-cultural events and programs to the center’s daily operation including general office work.
1．Outline of Duties
ICC student staff leaders are required to participate actively in the planning, coordination, operation and management of events not only among students, but also among all people gathering in Waseda. They also need to assist with the smooth operation of the center and the further improvement of its activities. Responsibilities of student staff leaders include:
- Planning, coordination, and operation of events and programs
- Receive and handle visitors to the ICC
- Public relations related tasks, including presentations about the ICC for visitors
- General office work
- Assist and offer guidance to students volunteers involved in ICC programs
Starting from mid-November, 2019
In principle, 15 ~ 20 hours per week between 10:00am – 6:00pm on weekdays and 10:00am – 5:00pm on Saturdays. You have to be able to work at least 15 hours during weekdays.
- Those that are willing to work as a student staff leader as long as possible during your stay at Waseda.
- Ability to communicate in both Japanese and English
- A working knowledge of Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
*The following criteria are also preferred:
Event poster designing experience and/or video editing; language proficiency other than English and Japanese; experience in general office work; experience in sports (for planning sports events).
5．Personal qualities preferred
*The following personal qualities are also welcomed:
Passion, proactive thinking, Creativity, Good concentration skills, Innovation, Not put off by simple tasks, Presentation know-how, physically strong
6．Skills Developed through this Position
- Basic office work skills (planning, writing business mails, etc.)
- Event planning & managing skills (drafting plans, negotiating, presenting, facilitating, etc.)
- Publicity skills (writing publicity, making posters, etc.)
- Leadership and team building skills
- Communication skills
- Diversity management skills
You will also be able to develop your professional sense and future vision as well as the above skills.
7．Number of Positions Available
A few places
1,100 yen/hour including commuting expenses
ICC office, Waseda Campus, other (in case of off-campus events)
10．How to Apply
Download and fill in the following four documents, then submit in-person by the applicant at the counter of ICC office during our opening hours. Please note that submission by postal mails or email attachments are not accepted.
- (A) Resume (履歴書)
- (B) Self-introduction & reason for applying (自己PR書)
- (C) Event Proposal (企画書) You can submit up to three proposals, no page limit.
- (D) Interview Scheduling Sheet (面接日程調査表)
Download from: https://waseda.box.com/v/icc-ssl-application
11．Student Staff Leader Selection Schedule (Subject to Change)
- 6:00 pm, October 21 (Mon) Application deadline
- October 24 (Thu) Announcement of document screening results (by e-mail)
- October 28 (Mon) , 29 (Tue), 30 (Wed) Interviews for those who passed the document screening
- Oct 30 (Wed) Announcement of final results. Work starts from mid-November
12．Info Sessions for Student Staff Leader Recruitment
Info sessions will be held to explain the duty of student staff leaders in detail. We highly recommend you to come to one of the sessions below to fully understand the ICC’s mission and duties.
Date & Time:
- October 7 (Mon), 12:20 – 12:50pm (Japanese Session)
- October 10 (Thu), 12:20 – 12:50pm (Japanese Session)
- October 11 (Fri), 12:20 -12:50pm (English Session)
Place: ICC Lounge, 1st Floor, Bldg. 3, Waseda Campus
Waseda University Intercultural Communication Center
〒169-8050, 1F, Bldg. 3, Waseda University, 1-6-1, Nishi Waseda, Shinjuku-Ku, Tokyo
During terms: 10:00am – 6:00pm on weekdays; 10:00am – 5:00pm on Saturdays
During term breaks: 10:00am – 5:00pm on weekdays; closed on Saturdays
TEL: 03-5286-3990 FAX: 03-5286-3991
E-mail: [email protected]