Career center accpets recommendation letter applications for visa status change ONLINE only. Click the following icon for detail.
| I hold a student visa. I am graduating in this September. I am trying to get my job in Japan, yet I haven’t found one. I would like to continue job-hunting activities in Japan after graduation . Do I need to change my student visa to something else?
The answer is YES. Student visa holders who wish to stay in Japan to continue their job-hunting, they need to change their visa to “Designated Activities (continuation of job-hunting).”
Designated Activities visa (Continuation of job-hunting) 特定活動ビザ（継続就職活動）
- Allows you to stay in Japan for a maximum of about 1 year after graduating.
- Valid for 6 months and may be renewed only once for a maximum of 1 year.
- This visa change is for degree students ONLY; non-degree students are not eligible.
- The Ministry of Justice states that this visa change for degree students.
(The website in Japanese only)
| You can apply for the following permission with designated activities visa application:
- Permission to engage in activity other than that permitted under the status of residence previously granted(資格外活動ビザ) *You may work up to 28 hours per week
・We will strongly advise that you apply for the change BEFORE you graduate, as visa application procedure will take time (about 1 month ) at Immigration bureau.
・Proxy(substitute) application is not acceptable. Applicant should apply by himself/herself.
Apply for the recommendation letter before you graduate!
The issue date of documents are important. Any excess date of documentation are NOT acceptable for any reason (meaning we are not able to issue a recommendation letter).
Please see Guideline in VISA part to learn more about it.