International Admissions OfficeWaseda University

Student Support and Living Information

Tuition and Visa

Tuition Fees

Visa Status

International students, non-Japanese nationals, who are admitted to Waseda University are able to apply for a status of residence in Japan.

An application procedure for status of residence “Student” differs depending on the current status of residence. Please refer to the following for the detailed information.

(1)For applicants without status of residence in Japan (reside outside of Japan) First, you need to acquire the Certificate of Eligibility (COE) to acquire a status of residence in Japan. In order to acquire a visa on your passport, you have to submit the required documents, such as COE, to Japanese Embassy/Consulate. Then, on your entry to Japan, you ought to present the issued visa and submit COE to an Immigration Inspector for permission to acquire status of residence “Student”. Please refer to the following web link from the Center for International Education to understand differences between “Visa” and “Status of Residence”.
For more details, please click here.
Waseda University will apply by proxy for the Certificate of Eligibility at the request from accepted overseas applicants only who are non-Japanese nationals applying from outside Japan and have completed the admission procedure. Please read through the application guidelines provided by each undergraduate school or graduate school, at which you wish to study, for the application documents and procedures when submitting the required documents. Application forms for the Certificate of Eligibility are available to download at the following web links.
Waseda University strongly recommends you to complete the admission procedure early, if you request the COE application by proxy, because of taking one to two months after its application to be issued the Certificate of Eligibility.

Download documents related to the Certificate of Eligibility

(2)For applicants with status of residence in Japan (reside in Japan) Those who already hold the status of residence and currently reside in Japan, please proceed with the necessary procedure for application to extend/change your status of residence, based on information from the website of the Center for International Education. Application forms to extend/change your status of residence are available to download here.

Page Top
WASEDA University

The Waseda University official website
<<>> doesn't support your system.

Please update to the newest version of your browser and try again.


Suporrted Browser