Application deadline is extended to Thursday, September 30, 2021 17:00 (Japan time).
The Waseda Institute for Advanced Study is committed to promoting the university-wide acceptance of leading researchers from other countries as well as to facilitating the production of research results, scholarly exchange with researchers at Waseda, and other such outcomes. For this purpose, the Institute invites researchers doing work at the cutting edge of their fields as a Visiting Researcher.
1. Recruitment Fields
Fields corresponding to Humanities, Social Science, Natural Science, and Interdisciplinary Research
2. Number of Positions
3. Appointment Status
Visiting Senior Researcher or Visiting Researcher (To conclude an Engagement Agreement with the university)
4. Period of Appointment
Appointments are as a rule for a period of 1 month (31 days), between April 1,2022 and March 31, 2023
*Stay during the term of classes (April-July or October-January) is preferable.
*Next recruitment for Visiting Researchers appointed after October 1, 2022 will be announced around April, 2022.
5. Application Qualifications
An applicant must:
(1) be a tenured researcher (equivalent to professor or associate professor) at an institution abroad.
(2) have a recommendation of a tenured faculty member from Waseda University (hereinafter referred to as W.U.). The recommender is responsible for the collaborative research activities of this Visiting Researcher at W.U.
(3) have remarkable research achievements.
(4) have research topics which are preferably related to ongoing research projects or activities at W.U.
(5) Preference is given to an applicant who had never been employed by W.U. in the past.
Visiting Researcher’s Duties include:
(1) presenting research/education seminars organized/co-organized by Waseda Institute for Advanced Study (hereinafter referred to as WIAS).
(2) preferably submitting papers to international scholarly journals to present results of research performed during the period of appointment. (The papers should clearly state that those results were obtained while at WIAS.)
(3) providing advice and guidance to graduate students and young researchers of W.U.
(4) engaging in joint supervision/research with researchers of W.U.
(5) Other duties shall be determined in prior consultation with the Director of WIAS where necessary.
(1) Remuneration for the duties will be paid.(in accordance with Institute regulations)
(2) Accommodations will be provided. (in accordance with Institute regulations)
(3) Common office space will be provided. (to be assigned to a room in the Building No. 19)
We do not respond to any inquiries pertaining to the results of the selection.
9. Application Procedures
Complete the Online Registration Form (the Online Form) on the website and submit the application documents specified below via the online system. When your registration is successfully completed, a confirmation message will be sent to you at the e-mail address that you provided in the Online Form. You should use the specified forms (see below) to prepare the application documents. In case of using forms except the specified form, your application might not be accepted. Please note that the application documents must be submitted via the Online Form, and NOT by e-mail, post or any other means.
(1) Curriculum vitae
(2) Seminar Plan
(3) Letter of Recommendation from a faculty member of W.U.
Note: Submitted information and documents will only be used for the purposes of screening applicants.
Online form and specified forms are at the bottom of this page.
10. Deadline for Application
Please submit application documents by Thursday, September 30, 2021 17:00 (Japan time).
11. Selection Schedule
(1) Documentary screening : September and October 2021
(2) Notification of Results : November 2021
*Applicants and recommenders will be notified of selection results by e-mail.
(3) Explanation of the program to the recommender in item 9 (3), above. : In or after December 2021
Download Links of Application Documents
|Form Description||Word / Excel File||PDF File|
|List of Fields of Specializations||–||detail|
[Information and Documents to be Prepared]
When you fill in the online registration form, the information and documents listed below are required in addition to your personal information. We suggest that applicants prepare those in advance to make registration easier.
Please use “Internet Explorer” to open and fill in the form, if you encounter problems or difficulties (e.g. you cannot click buttons in the form or the web pages do not appear properly), when you use other web browsers such as “Google Chrome” and “Microsoft Edge.”
*Research field and topic
・ Field of Specialization
・ Research topic during your visit to WIAS
*Period of Appointment
・ The period of appointment is 1 month (31 days) . In principle, between April 1, 2022 and March 31, 2023.
*Past Experience of Staying at Waseda University
・ If you have stayed at Waseda University before, please fill in the period and purpose.
*1 Recommender within Waseda University
・ Please fill in the name, affiliation, title, phone number and e-mail address of the recommender to write the Letter of Recommendation. (a tenured faculty member)
*Documents to be uploaded (PDF or MS Word file, A4-size, maximum attachment size 10MB)
・Application Documents (Curriculum Vitae / Seminar Plan / Letter of Recommendation)
– Please use the specified forms available on this web page. Forms other than the specified forms might not be accepted.
– PDF format recommended.
When your registration is successfully completed, a confirmation message will be sent to you at the e-mail address that you provided in the Online Form. When you cannot find the message, please check your e-mail box carefully because our e-mail can be regarded as spam mail due to receiver’s settings.
[Revision of submitted Information and Documents]
You can make changes or replacements to your submitted documents by providing the PIN number that was firstly registered. Please take note of the PIN number as it is not re-issued. Changes and replacements can be made only during the application period.