Note: Deadline has been changed to Friday, June 5, 2020 17:00 (Japan time)
The Waseda Institute for Advanced Study is committed to promoting the university-wide acceptance of leading researchers from other countries as well as to facilitating the production of research results, scholarly exchange with researchers at Waseda, and other such outcomes. For this purpose, the Institute invites researchers doing work at the cutting edge of their fields as a Visiting Researcher.
1. Recruitment Fields
Fields corresponding to Humanities, Social Science, Natural Science, and Interdisciplinary Research
2. Number of Positions
3. Appointment Status
Visiting Senior Researcher or Visiting Researcher (To conclude an Engagement Agreement with the university)
4. Period of Appointment
Appointments are as a rule for a period of 1 month (31 days), starting between October 1,2020 and September 30, 2021
*Stay during the term of classes (April-July or October-January) is preferable.
*Next recruitment for Visiting Researchers appointed after April 1, 2021 will be announced around July, 2020.
5. Application Qualifications
An applicant must:
(1) be a tenured researcher (equivalent to professor or associate professor) at an institution abroad.
(2) have a recommendation of a tenured faculty member from Waseda University (hereinafter referred to as W.U.). The recommender is responsible for the collaborative research activities of this Visiting Researcher at W.U.
(3) have remarkable research achievements.
(4) have research topics which are preferably related to ongoing research projects or activities at W.U.
(5) Preference is given to an applicant who had never been employed by W.U. in the past.
Visiting Researcher’s Duties include:
(1) presenting research/education seminars organized/co-organized by Waseda Institute for Advanced Study (hereinafter referred to as WIAS).
(2) preferably submitting papers to international scholarly journals to present results of research performed during the period of appointment. (The papers should clearly state that those results were obtained while at WIAS.)
(3) providing advice and guidance to graduate students and young researchers of W.U.
(4) engaging in joint supervision/research with researchers of W.U.
(5) Other duties shall be determined in prior consultation with the Director of WIAS where necessary.
(1) Remuneration for the duties will be paid.(in accordance with Institute regulations)
(2) Accommodations will be provided. (in accordance with Institute regulations)
(3) Common office space will be provided. (to be assigned to a room in the Building No. 19)
We do not respond to any inquiries pertaining to the results of the selection.
9. Application Procedures
Please submit the following documents using the form provided to WIAS Office by e-mail.
(2) Curriculum vitae
(3) Seminar Plan
(4) Letter of Recommendation from a faculty member of W.U.
*Submitted documents will not be used for any other purpose than screening applicants. Application materials will not be returned.
10. Deadline for Application
Please submit application documents by Friday, June 5, 2020 17:00 (Japan time).
11. Address for Submission of Application Documents
Waseda Institute for Advanced Study
Researcher Employment: Visiting Researchers
12. Selection Schedule
(1) Documentary screening : June and July 2020
(2) Notification of Results : July 2020
*Applicants and recommenders will be notified of selection results by e-mail.
(3) Explanation of the program to the recommender in item 9 (4), above. : In or after August 2020
|Form Description||Word / Excel File||PDF File|
|List of Fields of Specializations||–||detail|