The Waseda Institute for Advanced Study is committed to promoting the university-wide acceptance of leading researchers from other countries as well as to facilitating the production of research results, scholarly exchange with researchers at Waseda, and other such outcomes. For this purpose, the Institute invites researchers doing work at the cutting edge of their fields as a Visiting Scholar.
1. Recruitment Fields
Fields corresponding to Humanities, Social Science, Natural Science, and Interdisciplinary Research
2. Number of Positions
3. Appointment Status
4. Period of Appointment
The period of appointment is 31 days or more up to a maximum of 60 days. In principle, the Visiting Scholar is appointed from October 1, 2019 to September 30, 2020.
*Stay during the term of classes (April-July or October-January) is preferable.
*Next Recruitment for Visiting Scholars appointed after April 1, 2020 will be announced around July, 2019.
5. Application Qualifications
An applicant must:
(1) be conducting research at an institute, such as a university in Japan or overseas, and whose learning, achievements, and qualifications are at a level equivalent to or higher than those of a tenured lecturer at Waseda University (hereinafter referred to as W.U.).
(2) have a recommendation of a tenured faculty member of W.U. or a member of Waseda Institute for Advanced Study (hereinafter referred to as WIAS). The recommender is responsible for the collaborative research activities of this Visiting Scholar at W.U.
Visiting Scholar’s Duties include:
(1) engaging in joint research with researchers of W.U.
(2) providing advice and guidance to young researchers and graduate students of W.U.
(3) The host researcher at W.U. must submit a report on the result of the joint research with the Visiting Scholar within one year after the period of residence has ended.
(4) Other duties shall be determined in prior consultation with the Director of WIAS where necessary.
(1) No salary payments. (does not conclude an Employment Contract or an Engagement Agreement with the university).
(2) As long as the facility capacity allows, a single room in the university guesthouses will be provided.
(3) As long as the facility capacity allows, office space will be provided.
We do not respond to any inquiries pertaining to the results of the selection.
9. Application Procedures
Please submit the following documents using the form provided to WIAS Office by e-mail.
(2) Curriculum vitae
(3) Research Plan
(4) Letter of Recommendation from a faculty member of W.U.
*Submitted documents will not be used for any other purpose than screening applicants. Application materials will not be returned.
10. Deadline for Application
Please submit application documents by Thursday, May 9, 2019 17:00 (Japan time).
11. Address for Submission of Application Documents
Waseda Institute for Advanced Study
Researcher Employment: Visiting Scholars
12. Selection Schedule
(1) Documentary screening : May and June 2019
(2) Notification of Results : June 2019
*Applicants and recommenders will be notified of selection results by e-mail.
(3) Orientation meeting with the recommender in item 9 (4), above. : In or after July 2019
|Form Description||Word File||PDF File|