The Waseda Institute for Advanced Study is committed to promoting the university-wide acceptance of leading researchers from other countries as well as to facilitating the production of research results, scholarly exchange with researchers at Waseda, and other such outcomes. For this purpose, the Institute invites as Visiting Scholar recognized researchers who are doing work at the cutting edge of their fields.
1. Recruitment Fields
Fields corresponding to Humanities, Social Science, Natural Science, and Interdisciplinary Research
2. Number of Positions
3. Appointment Status
4. Period of Appointment
The period of appointment is 31 days or more up to a maximum of 60 days. In principle, the Visiting Scholar is appointed from October 1, 2017 to March 31, 2018.
*Stay during the term of classes is preferable.
*Next Recruitment for Visiting Scholars appointed after April 1, 2018 will be announced around July, 2017.
5. Application Qualifications
In principle, researchers who satisfy conditions (1) and (2) below:
- (1) They are researchers conducting research at the primary institute that they are
affiliated to, such as a university in Japan or overseas, and whose learning,
achievements, and qualifications are at a level that is equivalent to or higher than that
of a lecturer (tenured) at Waseda University.
- (2) They have received the recommendation of a tenured faculty from Waseda University, or a member of the Waseda Institute of Advanced Study. The recommender is responsible for the collaborative research activities of this Visiting Scholar at Waseda University.
- (1) Visiting Scholars should engage in joint research with researchers who belong to Waseda University.
- (2) Visiting Scholars should provide advice and guidance to young researchers including graduate students in Waseda University.
- (3) After the period has ended, Visiting Scholars of the Institute or researchers from Waseda University who have accepted Visiting Scholars shall report on the progress status of the research conducted during the Visiting Scholar’s stay. The output of joint research should be submitted to the Waseda Institute of Advanced Study within one year from the end of the Visiting Scholar’s term of appointment.
- (4) Other duties will be determined in prior consultation with the Director of the Waseda Institute for Advanced Study where necessary.
- (1) No compensation provided (does not sign an employment contract or an engagement agreement with the university).
- (2) The maximum term of appointment is 60 days. A single room in the guesthouse of Waseda University is provided as accommodations.
- (3) Office spaces are only provided when there is excess supply of on-campus facilities.
We do not respond to any inquiries pertaining to the results of the selection.
9. Application Procedures
Please submit the following documents (original copy) using the form provided to the Waseda Institute for Advanced Study.
- （2）Curriculum vitae
- （3）Seminar Plan
- （4）Letter of Recommendation from Waseda University tenured faculty
*Submitted documents will not be used for any other purpose than screening applicants. Application materials will not be returned.
10. Deadline for Application
Please submit application documents (original copy) by Friday, May 19, 2017 (Japan time).
11. Address for Submission of Application Documents
Waseda Institute for Advanced Study
Researcher Employment: Visiting Scholar 2017
1-6-1 Nishi Waseda, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 169-8050, JAPAN
12. Selection Schedule
- （1）Documentary screening
May and June 2017
Applicants and recommenders will be notified of selection results by e-mail.
- （2）Notification of Results
- （3）Orientation meeting with the recommender in item 9. (4), above.
In or after July 2017
|Form description||Word・Excel file||PDF file|
(and Sample CV)