Waseda Institute for Advanced Study (WIAS) was established in September 2006 to enable promising and talented researchers, fixed-term faculty, to focus on their research activities in a rich research environment. Around 40 researchers have been working on advanced researches in a wide range of themes and with no limitation as to field of study. The Institute is currently recruiting researchers for AY2017 as detailed below.
1. Recruitment Fields
Fields corresponding to the Humanities, Social Sciences, and Natural Sciences
2. Number of Positions
3. Appointment Position
In principle, Assistant Professor or Associate Professor (without tenure)
* The appointment position will be determined based on the screening and interview results.
4. Application Qualifications
Researchers who meet any of the following qualifications (a. – c.)
- a. Persons with a doctorate. It is desirable for the doctorate to have been obtained within 10 years of April 1, 2017.
- b. Persons who expect to obtain a doctorate by April 1, 2017.
- c. Persons with scholarly attainment equivalent to persons who have obtained a doctorate (persons who have completed the full term of a doctoral course etc.) as of April 1, 2017, and who have research experience at a research institution.
* Applicants are expected to be enthusiastic about conducting their research, which will contribute to facilitating research at Waseda University, as well as to establishing and strengthening collaborative network between the researchers of outside/overseas research institutions and universities and those of Waseda University.
* Waseda University is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty in order to promote globalization and gender equality on campus. In all matters related to faculty recruitment and promotion, the University prohibits any form of discrimination on the basis of national origin, gender, religion, creed, political affiliation, or disability.
5. Research Theme
The Institute seeks to recruit researchers who will undertake highly creative research projects that have the potential to identify issues for the future, and carve out new fields of study in the areas of the Humanities, Social Sciences, Natural Sciences.
- （1）Research activities in accordance with the Research Plan submitted at the time of employment.
- （2）Researchers will be encouraged to teach at least one full-year class per year (equivalent to two half-year classes), and are allowed to teach up to three full-year classes per year (equivalent to within six half-year classes) at Waseda University.
※“One class” means one 90-minute lecture in a week.
※If the researcher wants to work as a Part-time Lecturer at a university other than Waseda, prior approval from the Director of the Institute (WIAS) will be required.
- （3）Other duties include:
a.Attendance at meetings of the Institute
b.Planning and organizing symposiums and so on, sponsored or cosponsored by the Institute
c.Publishing of research findings in the Institute bulletin or discussion paper, etc.
d.Applying for a Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (KAKENHI) (Acquisition of public or business contract research grants or subsidies as well is desirable.)
e.Other matters deemed necessary by the Director of the Institute
7. Working Conditions
- （1）It is expected that the research and other tasks at Waseda University will be the major activity of the researcher.
- （2）Place of Work: Waseda Campus, Waseda University
※However, it is possible to work elsewhere such as at other campuses of the University depending on the purposes of experiments, and field surveys.
- （3）Other working conditions will be in accordance with regulations of Waseda University as shown below.
※Maternity leave is available in accordance with regulations of Waseda University. It is also possible to take parental leave and nursing leave; please ask for details about the eligibility for using the leave.
|Working Hours||The employee shall, in principle, appear for work 4 days a week (a minimum of 40 hours/week).|
|Salary||A salary will be paid in accordance with Waseda University regulations.|
|Allowances||A commutation allowance shall be provided in accordance with Waseda University regulations.|
|Holidays||Sundays, New Year’s holidays, legally recognized public holidays, and the anniversary of the University founding, excluding holidays prescribed as instructional days that are determined in advance by the University|
|Leave||Leave that is determined by the Labor Standards Act and other related laws, and days that are designated by the University as leave days: New Year’s holidays and summer vacation.|
|Social Insurance||The employee shall be enrolled in the Employee’s Pension Insurance, Health Insurance, Workmen’s Accident Compensation Insurance, and Employment Insurance.|
8. Research Funds
Research funding will be provided in according with Waseda University regulations. Also, there are competitive research grants provided by Waseda University, such as Waseda University Grants for Special Research Projects (for newly-hired faculty). The percentage of the successful grant applications for the Waseda University Grants for Special Research Projcets that received the funding in 2015, for example, was 88.0%.
9. Period of Employment
- Three years from the start date of employment and not to be reappointed
- From April 1, 2017 to March 31, 2020, in principle
- For researchers in a field of Natural Sciences, however, a one-year contract extension would be possible based on an appraisal of their research activities and achievements.
10. Selection Procedure
- （1）First selection stage (document screening)
※Applicants will be notified of selection results by e-mail in early August, 2016.
- （2）Second selection stage (document screening)
※Applicants who pass the first stage should submit their principal research achievements (three or fewer, with three copies of each) and Letters of recommendation by the middle of August. Requirements for the second-stage submission will be notified to applicants who pass the first stage.
- （3）Third selection stage (interview)
In October, 2016 (tentative)
※Applicants who pass the second stage will be notified of further information by one week before the interview date.
※Travel expenses for the interview (Waseda Campus, Waseda University) are to be borne by the applicant.
- （4）Notification of Results
December 2016 (tentative)
11. Application Documents and Application Procedures
Complete the Online Registration Form (the Online Form) on the website and submit the application documents specified below through use of the Online Form. When the registration is successfully completed, a confirmation message will be sent to the e-mail address provided on the Online Form. Applicants should use the specified forms (see below) to prepare the application documents. Please note that the application documents cannot be accepted by e-mail, post or any procedures other than submitting through use of the Online Form.
- **Applicants should use the specified forms below. **
- AY2017 Application Documents (CV / Research Plan): click here
- Online Registration Form: click here.
* Submitted information and documents will only be used for the purpose of screening researcher candidates.
12. Deadline for Application
June 30, 2016 (Thursday), 5 P.M. (Japan time)
※Submission of application documents through use of the Online Registration Form must be completed by this date and time.
To contact us, please use Online Inquiry Form. Inquiries by phone will not be accepted.
* Please read FAQs and Instructions for the Online Registration Form (see below) before you make an inquiry.
* It is recommended to use Internet Explorer (IE) if you encounter any problems with using the online registration form.
|Form description||Word・Excel file||PDF file|
|Application (CV and Research Plan) Form||detail|
|Sample for Carriculum Vitea||detail|