Waseda University will award an honorary doctorate to the first President and former Prime Minister of the Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste, Kay Rala Xanana Gusmão. His unfailing leadership and fortitude have brought the nation together, leading Timor-Leste’s independence in 2002. This degree honors Gusmão’s significant contributions to the country’s peace-building and state-building.
To mark this occasion, Waseda University will be holding an award ceremony on the following date and time, along with a special lecture by Gusmão.
Date and Time
October 6, 2016, Thursday
10:00 am ~ 11:15 am (Tentative)
- 9:30 am ~ 9:55 am Registration
- 10:00 am ~ 11:15 am Conferment of Honorary Degree & Special Lecture by Kay Rala Xanana Gusmão
Waseda University, Okuma Auditorium, Small Lecture Hall
Waseda University students, faculty and staff, invited guests, general audience
Japanese and English (simultaneous interpretation provided)
- Due to security reasons, re-entry is not allowed once the event starts.
- During the event, all cellphones must be turned off.
- Changing seats is not allowed.
- No audio or visual recording devices are allowed in the auditorium.
- Anyone who causes a disturbance during the event (i.e., yelling, carrying posters or signs) will be asked to leave the premises.
- The event will be recorded for publicity purposes. Please understand that members of the audience may also be recorded.
- Seats are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Please be advised that no admission will be allowed when the number of admission exceeds the seating capacity.
Waseda University, International Office
E-mail: [email protected]