In order to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus, we announce measures of Waseda University Library.
Entry & Services (Updated November. 29, 2021)
Browsing, borrowing and copying library materials are all available, but there are some restrictions.
- Talking and group use in the libraries are not allowed.
- The number of seats are limited to avoid crowding.
- University ID card holders【Students including Non-degree course and Art & Architecture School, Faculties, Staff, High School Students of Affiliated School, and Junior High School Students of Waseda University Senior High School and Waseda University Honjo Senior High School】
- Professor Emeritus
- Library card (Green, Blue or Red) users such as Visiting Researcher, Research Fellow, JSPS Research Fellow, Adjunct Researcher, Instructor at the Extension Center, e-School Education Coach, Teaching Assistant & Research Assistant, Researchers or Assistants in the research institutions of Waseda, and etc.
- Alumni, Open college members* (Extension Center), Waseda Supporters Club member* (Users marked * can use Central Library Only.)
※We accept entries of all visitors other than the above gradually as follows.
From November 10, 2020: they can only use the materials stored in the Special Collections and Rare Book Collections of the Central Library.
From October 18, 2021: If they have a letter of introduction issued by the library of their institution, they can use the materials. Visitors based on the agreements with Waseda also must bring the letter.
*Waseda University Library is only available for visitors (Researchers and students) who are doing research and who wish to use specific books and other materials owned by the Library, which are unavailable at other libraries.
*Visitors based on the agreements who bring ID card and does not bring a letter of introduction will be refused. Please identify the materials you need and ask the library of your institution to issue the letter.
*Please note that your entry may be refused suddenly depending on the situation of the novel coronavirus.
- Entry may be restricted if the number of visitors exceeds a maximum allowed.
- You must keep following rules in the libraries. Library staff may reject your entry if you do not obey.
– Wear a mask or a substitute of it.
– Disinfect your hands when you enter and leave the libraries.
– Keep an enough distance from other users or library staffs.
- Please do not visit the libraries when you do not feel well, for example, you have a fever.
- You cannot use a part of facilities and materials depending on the situation.
- Do not disinfect library materials by yourself.
- Please disinfect your hands on your own responsibility before/after using library facilities and materials. We clean and disinfect the inside of the libraries, but ask you to forgive any imperfection.
Most of libraries and reading rooms open regular hours. Please check User guide No.23 for more details. On the other hand, there are some changes like below.
- Central Library: From April 5th, 2021, Group Study Room 1 and 2 are available only for who attend online classes with speaking.
- S. Takata Memorial Research Library: Group Reading Room on the 4th floor and computers on the 3rd floor are not available. (Updated Oct. 8, 2021)
- Toyama Library: To confirm availability of materials located in Theoretical Configuration / Course Rooms, please see here (in Japanese).
- Science and Engineering Library: Group Workroom 2 and Communication Lounge on B1F, Bldg. 55 will be available from April 5th, Monday, 2021. Attending online classes with speaking are allowed in some of the area. For more details, see here.
- Tokorozawa Library: From October 1st, 2021, the maximum capacity of people in Presentation Area has changed from 7 to 13.（Exclusive for class use. Reservation from faculty required.)
Group Study Areas (1) and (2) are available only for who attend online classes with speaking.
(the maximum capacity of people : Group Study Area (1) ; 2, Group Study Area (2) ; 3)
- Theatre Museum Library: Advance reservation is needed for use until 2021/12/5 (Sun), and advance reservation is not needed for use from 2021/12/6 (Mon). For details, please refer to the website (Japanese version only).
- Mathematics (School of Education) : Weekdays 10:00-16:00 (12:30-13:30 Closed). Please contact the room directly before you visit.
- Psychology (School of Education) : Weekdays 10:00-16:00 (12:30-13:30 Closed). Please contact the room directly before you visit.
*Depending on the campus, the campus itself may close before the library or the reading room close. But you can enter the library or the reading room by entering the campus through a campus gate with security guards.
How to Use
- [For University ID card holders] A student or faculty/staff ID is required to use library services. If you don’t have it yet, please consult the office you are belonging to first.
- [For alumni] Please prepare your Waseda Card or Alumni Association Card. For more details from here (In Japanese only).
- [For library card users] If you come to libraries for the first time, we will issue/renew the library card for you at the Information Desk of the Central Library on the second floor. If you have the library card but expired, please bring it with you. For more details from here.
Library Materials Delivery Service
This mailing service is aimed to support Waseda University Library’s users who have some difficulties to come to the university due to mainly influence by COVID-19.
- Undergraduate / Graduate student (Including non-degree student)
- Student of Senior High School / Honjyo Senior High School
- Student of Art and Architecture School
- Faculty (Including part-time lecturer)
- Professor Emeritus
- Library card (Green, Blue, Red) user
Details of the service
Check the guide, Library Materials Delivery Service.
Returning books, Suspension of the privileges (overdue books), Renewing loan periods
You can return books to circulation desks in the libraries, to Book Return Posts, and by mail service.
- Returning books to Book Return Posts
You can return books to the Book Return Posts located outside following libraries and student reading rooms when campus gate is open.
*The returned books will be processed on the next opening day. If you want them to be processed on the day, please return them to circulation desks in the libraries.
Waseda Campus: S.Takata Memorial Research Library where Book Return Post is located in front of 1st floor entrance of Building No.2, each student reading room
Toyama Campus: Toyama Library where Book Return Post is located outside entrance
Nishiwaseda Campus: Science and Engineering Library where Book Return Post is located outside entrance, Science and Engineering Students’ Reading Room (*You can not return books that you borrow from other libraries or other student reading rooms to the Book Return Post of Science and Engineering Students’ Reading Room)
Tokorozawa Campus: Tokorozawa Library where Book Return Post is located outside entrance
*Central Library does not have Book Return Post.
- Returning books by mail service
You can return them by mail service with traceable options (You-pack etc.) for the safety reason. We recommend you to keep the receipt of it.
・You are responsible for the returning including its cost.
・When you pack them for the shipping, please put them in a plastic bag in order to prevent damage by water.
– In Japanese
– In English
Dept. of Users Support
Building No.18, Center for Scholarly Information 2F, Waseda Campus
1-6-1 Nishiwaseda, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo, 169-8050 TEL. 03-5286-2195
* Please write “Return Book(s)” on the front side.
Suspension of the privileges (overdue books) (Updated Dec. 15, 2020)
- In consideration of the impact of the coronavirus, penalties for overdue books will be as follows;
(1) Suspension until the overdue books for more than 4 days are returned
On and after November 17, 2020, you will not be able to borrow books until the overdue books for more than 4 days are returned. If the overdue book is placed on hold by another user, your borrowing privileges will be suspended.**
(2) Suspension after the books are returned (Based on the number of days overdue and the number of books) ⇒Exemption for the time being.
- If you cannot visit the campus for any reason, such as if you live overseas or outside of the Tokyo area, or if all of your courses are offered online, please return the books when you are able to do so. You can return them by mail service as mentioned above.
If you are unable to return the books, emails reminding you to return the books will be automatically sent. Sorry for the inconvenience.
- **You will be notified by e-mail when someone places hold on the book you are borrowing. Please be sure to return it by the due date.
Renewing loan periods (Updated Dec. 15, 2020)
- Loan period can be renewed from “My Library”([Menu] at the upper right of WINE>My Library). Please refer to “Renew Library Materials” and “Sign in to WINE” in WINE User’s Guide.
- If you lost the book, please email to the following address in advance.
libmail(★)list.waseda.jp *Please replace (★) with @ when sending mail.
- Click here to know how to use electronic materials and databases from off-campus. [For students studying at home]
- Click here for information about e-resources (databases, online journals & e-books).
info-wul(★)list.waseda.jp *Please replace (★) with @ when sending mail.
・Please include your school name, school year, or job title, as well as your full name and contact information (email) in your inquiry.