Ph.D. in International Relations
Constructing a new field — Neutrality Studies
Neutrality as a concept in International Relations and History
I am working on several projects centered around the academic study of neutrality in International Relations and History. I seek to understand the impact of neutral actors (mostly countries) on the international community during different security regimes and in times of war. I am especially interested in the neutrals during WWII in Asia and neutral actors during the Cold War. There are several projects that I am engaged in: “Swiss-Japanese Relations during Japan’s Wartime Period” (monograph), “Swedish-Japanese Relations during Japan’s Wartime Period” (co-authored book with Dr. Ingemar Ottosson), “The Neutrals and the Bomb—The N+N States and Non-Proliferation” (conference and edited book with Dr. Yoko Iwama), and “Permanent Neutrality: A Model for Peace, Security, and Justice” (Conference and Edited Book with Dr. Herbert Reginbogin).
Assistant Professor, Waseda Institute for Advanced Studies (2019–present)
Adjunct Professor, Temple University, Japan Campus (2017–2019)
Ph.D. Student at the National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies (GRIPS) (2014–2018)
Master in Public Policy at the National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies (GRIPS) (2011–2012)
Neutrality Studies, International Relations, Diplomatic History, WWII Studies
- 2020 (March) Edited book “Permanent Neutrality: A Model for Peace, Security, and Justice” https://rowman.com/ISBN/9781793610287/Permanent-Neutrality-A-Model-for-Peace-Security-and-Justice
- 2020 (March 1–3)Conference “Being Friends with Enemies” Vienna, Austria. https://neutralityresearch.com/Friends-with-Enemies-a863ba95843844c1993fa625739c5db2
- 2019 (December 14–15) Conference on “The Neutrals and the Bomb: Neutral & Nonaligned States and Non-Proliferation” Tokyo, Japan: http://www.nptresearch.org/conference-2019.html
- 2018 (November) Edited book “Notions of Neutralities” https://rowman.com/ISBN/9781498582261/Notions-of-Neutralities
- Lottaz’s recent conference in Washington: Permanent Neutrality: A Model for Peace, Security, and Justice
- Lottaz, Pascal, and Herbert Reginbogin, eds. Notions of Neutralities. USA: Lexington, 2018.
- Lottaz, Pascal, and Florentino Rodao. “The Vatican, WWII, and Asia: Lessons of Neutral Diplomacy.” In Notions of Neutralities, edited by Pascal Lottaz and Herbert Reginbogin. Lanham: Lexington, 2018.
- Lottaz, Pascal. “Neutrality and Wartime Japan.” In Notions of Neutralities, edited by Pascal Lottaz and Herbert Reginbogin. Lanham: Lexington, 2018.
- Lottaz, Pascal, and Herbert Reginbogin. “Private Neutrality: The Bank for International Settlement.” In Notions of Neutralities, edited by Pascal Lottaz and Herbert Reginbogin. Lanham: Lexington, 2018.
- Donzé, Pierre-Yves, Claude Hauser, Pascal Lottaz, and Andy Maître, eds. Journal d’un Témoin: Camille Gorgé, Diplomat Suisse dans le Japon en Guerre 1940-1945. Edited by Sacha Zala Vol. 10, Quaderni di Dodis. Berne: Diplomatic Documents of Switzerland, 2018.
- Lottaz, Pascal. “Violent Conflicts and Neutral Legations: A Case Study of the Spanish and Swiss Legations in Wartime Japan.” New Global Studies 11, no. 2 (2017): 85–100.
- Müller, Xenia, Rahel Steger, Bruno Grünenfelder, and Pascal Lottaz. Konflikte Wagen – Frieden Leben: Ein Manual zur Gewaltprävention bei Jugendlichen. BoD, 2014.
I love Japanese Green Tea, including the study of it, and I love Japan’s country side, where tea and rice is produced. Also, I really enjoy all things IT. If there is a new gadget out, I need get my hands on it to fiddle around with it.
Secretary of the Diplomatic Study Section (2019-2021) of the International Studies Association
Member of the International Studies Association (ISA)