Professor, École des hautes études en sciences sociales (EHESS)
2012-present: Professor, Centre for the Study of Modern and Contemporary China, EHESS
2011-2015: Researcher and director, French Centre for Research on Contemporary China (Hong Kong)
2010-2011: Assistant Professor, School of Humanities, University of Hong Kong
2006-2010: Researcher, French Centre for Research on Contemporary China (Hong Kong)
“China’s Alternative Public Spheres in the 20th century”
Intellectual and cultural history of 20th century China
Literary and political debates in the May Fourth and the New Culture Movements
Literature, public sphere and democracy
Intellectual and cultural history of Hong Kong
- 2017 “The Rise of ‘Localism’ and Civic Identity in Post-handover Hong Kong: Questioning the Chinese Nation-state.” The China Quarterly, Vol. 230, June 2017, pp. 323-347.
- 2016 “Creating a Textual Public space. Slogans and Texts from Hong Kong’s Umbrella Movement”, Journal of Asian Studies, vol. 75.3 (Aug. 2016), pp. 673-702.
- 2016 “Lu Xun and Zhang Binglin: New Culture, Conservatism and Local Tradition”, Sixiangshi/Intellectual History [Unitas, Taipei], vol. 6 (2016), pp. 151-193.
- 2014 “Creating a Literary Space to debate the Mao era: the fictionalization of the Great Leap Forward in Yan Lianke’s Four Books,” China Perspectives, no. 2014/4, Remembering the Mao Era: from creative practices to parallel history, pp.7-16.
- 2014 “Testimony, History and Ethics: From the Memory of Jiabiangou Prison Camp to a Reappraisal of the Anti-Rightist Movement in Present-Day China.” The China Quarterly, vol. 218 (June 2014), pp. 514-539.