Full Professor and the Konwakai Japan Research Chair, Sauder School of Business and the Institute of Asian Research, University of British Columbia
Firm behavior, corporate governance, international business
Education and Academic Employment
|1967||B.S. (Keio University, Administration Engineering.)|
|1969||M.S. (Keio University, Administration Engineering.)|
|1972||Ph.D. (Johns Hopkins Univ., Operations Research & Industrial Eng.)|
|1972-75||Assistant Professor, Faculty of Business, University of Alberta|
|1975-79||Associate Professor, Faculty of Business, University of Alberta|
|1979-94||Full Professor, Faculty of Business, University of Alberta|
|1994-date||Full Professor and the Konwakai Japan Research Chair, Sauder School of Business and the Institute of Asian Research, University of British Columbia|
|spring quarter, 1993||Visiting Professor, Carlson School of Management, University of Minnesota|
|May, 1996||Visiting Professor, Faculty of Business and Commerce, Keio University|
Research Fields of Interest
- Firm behavior
- Corporate governance in Japan
- Foreign direct investment
- Japanese business history
- Environmental management
- M.Nakamura (ed.),Changing Corporate Governance Practices in China and Japan: Adaptations of Anglo-American Practices, Palgrave Macmillan, London and New York, 2008.
- S.Nakano, H.Hayami, M.Nakamura and M.Suzuki, The Input-Output Tables for Environmental Analysis and its Applications (Kankyo Bunsekiyo Sangyo Renkanhyo to sono Oyou), in Japanese, Keio University Press, Tokyo, 2008. 中野諭、早見均、中村政男、鈴木将之（共著）、環境分析用産業連関表とその応用、慶応義塾大学出版会、2008．
- M.Nakamura (ed.), Changing Japanese Business, Economy, and Society: Globalization of Post-Bubble Japan, Palgrave Macmillan, New York, 2004.
- M.Nakamura (ed.), The Japanese Business and Economic System: History and Prospects for the 21st Century, Palgrave Macmillan, New York, 2001.
- M.Nakamura and I.Vertinsky, Japanese Economic Policies and Growth:Implications for Businesses in Canada and North America, University of Alberta Press, 1994.
- K.Yoshioka, T.Nakajima and M.Nakamura, Sources of Total Factor Productivity for Japanese Manufacturing Industries, 1964-1988: Issues in Scale Economies, Technical Progress, Industrial Policies and Measurement Methodologies, Keio Economic Observatory Research Monograph Series, Keio University, Tokyo, 1994.
- A.Nakamura and M.Nakamura, The Second Paycheck: A Socio-economic Analysis of Earnings, with Foreword by James J. Heckman, Academic Press (1985).
- Implications of the Japan model for corporate governance and management for China and other emerging economies in Asia, (with W.M. Fruin), Journal of Asia Business Studies 6, 2012, 122-142.
- Wages, overseas investment and ownership: Implications for internal labor markets in Japan, (with H. Hayami and A. Nakamura), International Journal of Human Resource Management 23, 2012, 2959-2974.
- Adoption and Policy Implications of Japan’s New Corporate Governance Practices after the Reform, Asia Pacific Journal of Management 28, 2011, 187-213.
- Returns to scale: concept, estimation and analysis of Japan’s turbulent 1964-1988 economy, (with W.E.Diewert, T. Nakajima, A. Nakamura, and E. Nakamura), Canadian Journal of Economics 44, 2011, 451-485.
- Learning in collaborative R&D: When multinationality matters (with O. Branzeia and I. Vertinsky), Asian Business and Management 10, 2011, 9-36.
- Japanese Corporate Governance Reform, Globalization and Selective Adaptation, Journal of Asian Business, forthcoming.
- Business Groups and the Big Push: Meiji Japan’s Mass Privatization and Subsequent Growth, (with R. Morck), Enterprise and Society8, 2007, 543-601.
- Greenhouse gas emissions in Canada and Japan: Sector-specific estimates and managerial and economic implications, (with H. Hayami), Journal of Environmental Management 85, 2007, 371-392.
- Technical change in a bubble economy: Japanese manufacturing firms in the 1990s, (with T. Nakajima, A. Nakamura and E. Nakamura), Empirica (Journal of Applied Economics and Economic Policy) 34, 2007, 247-271.
- Japanese corporate governance practices in the post-bubble era: Implications of institutional and legal reforms in the 1990s and early 2000s, International Journal of Disclosure and Governance 3, 2006, 233-261.
- Electricity Markets Volatility: Estimates, Regularities and Risk Management Applications, Energy Policy 34, 2006, 1736-1749.
- Joint venture instability, learning and the relative bargaining power of the parent firms, International Business Review 14, 2005, 465-493.
- Response of Canadian Industry to Climate Change: Is It up to the Kyoto Challenge? (with T.Takahashi, van Kooten and I. Vertinsky),Journal of Environmental Management 63, 2001, 149-161.
- Why Japanese Firms Choose to Certify: A Study of Managerial Responses to Environmental Issues (with T.Takahashi and I.Vertinsky),Journal of Environmental Economics and Management 42, 2001, 23-52.
- Banks, Ownership Structure, and Firm Value in Japan (with R.Morck and A.Shivdasani), Journal of Business 73, 2000, 539-569.
- Banks and Corporate Control in Japan (with R. Morck), Journal of Finance 54, 1999, 319-339.
- Model Specification and Endogeneity (with A. Nakamura), Journal of Econometrics 83, 1998, 213-237.
- Nonverifiability, Noncontractibility and Ownership Determination Models in Foreign Direct Investment, with an Application to Foreign Operations in Japan (with J. Xie), International Journal of Industrial Organization 16, 1998, 571-599.
- Block Holding and Keiretsu in Japan: The Effects of Capital Markets Liberalization Measures on the Stock Market (with B.Korkie), Journal of International Money and Finance 16, 1997, 113-140.
- An Index Number Method for Estimating Scale Economies and Technical Progress using Time-series and Cross-section data: Sources of Total Factor Productivity Growth for Japanese Manufacturing, 1964-1988 (with T.Nakajima and K.Yoshioka), Japanese Economic Review 49, 1998, 310-334.
- Top-Down Production Management: A Recent Trend in the Japanese Productivity Enhancement Movement (with M. Fruin),Managerial and Decision Economics 18, 1997, 131-139.
- Does Culture Matter in Inter-firm Cooperation: Research Consortia in Japan and the U.S.(with I.Vertisky and C.Zietsma), Managerial and Decision Economics 18, 1997, 153-175.
- An Empirical Investigation of Joint Venture Dynamics: Evidence from US-Japan Joint Ventures (with J. M. Shaver and B. Yeung), International Journal of Industrial Organization 14, 1996, 521-541.
- Predicting Female Labor Supply: Effects of Children and Recent Work Experience (with A. Nakamura), Journal of Human Resources 29, 1994, 304-327.
- The Econometrics of Female Labor Supply and Children (with A. Nakamura), Econometric Reviews 11, 1992, 1-71.
- Alternative Approaches to Model Choice (with A. Nakamura and H. Duleep), Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization 14, 1990, pp. 97-125.
- On the Performance of Tests by Wu and by Hausman for Detecting the Ordinary Least Squares Bias Problem (with A. Nakamura), Journal of Econometrics 29, 1985, 213-223.
- Rational Expectations and the Firm’s Dividend Behavior (with A. Nakamura), The Review of Economics and Statistics 67, 1985, 606-615.
- Dynamic Models of the Labor Force Behavior of Married Women Which Can Be Estimated Using Limited Amounts of Information (with A. Nakamura), Journal of Econometrics 27, 1985, 273-298.
- Part-time and Full-time Work Behaviour of Married Women: A Model with a Doubly Truncated Dependent Variable (with A. Nakamura), Canadian Journal of Economics XVI, No. 2, May 1983, 229-257.
- On the Relationships among Several Specification Error Tests Presented by Durbin, Wu and Hausman (with A. Nakamura), Econometrica 49, November 1981, 1583-1588.
- A Comparison of the Labor Force Behavior of Married Women in the United States and Canada, with Special Attention to the Impact of Income Taxes (with A. Nakamura), Econometrica 49, 1981, 451-489.
- Job Opportunities, the Offered Wage and the Labor Supply of Married Women (with A. Nakamura and D. Cullen), American Economic Review 69, 1979, 787-805.
- Testing for Relationships between Time Series (with A. Nakamura and Guy H. Orcutt), Theory and Methods Section, Journal of the American Statistical Association 71, March 1976, 214-222.
|1984/85||Social Science and Humanities Research Council of Canada Faculty Fellowships; McCalla Research Professorship|
|June, 2008||2008 Palgrave Macmillan and Association of Japanese Business Studies best presented paper award on “ Learning in collaborative R&D: When multi-nationality matters,” 2008 Annual AJBS conference in Milan, Italy, 29-30 June, 2008|