Doctor of Letters
The elucidation of the acceptance of the bhakti thought in the Late Advaita Vedānta school and of its significance
I have deciphered the religious works of Madhusūdana Sarasvatī, an Advaita Vedānta scholar in India who flourished in about the 16th – 17th centuries CE. Since Śaṅkara, a founder of the Advaita Vedānta School, bhakti, a devotion to the Supreme Deity, had not been valued in the school. However, Madhusūdana established for the first time bhakti as an independent soteriological means in the Advaita doctrines under the influence of contemporary Vaiṣṇavism. I suppose that it triggered the shift from Brahmanism to Hinduism of the Advaita Vedānta School. I have tried to analyze his bhakti thought found in some of his works in order to elucidate the process of this great transformation.
Education and Academic Employment
2002.4-2006.3 BA, First Department of Literature, Waseda University
2006.4-2009.3 MA, Department of Asian Philosophy, Graduate School of Letters, Arts and Sciences, Waseda University
2009.4-2015.1 Ph.D., Department of Asian Philosophy, Graduate School of Letters, Arts and Sciences, Waseda University
2014.4-2017.3 Part-time Lecturer, Keio Shiki Senior High School
2015.9-2017.9 Part-time Lecturer, Faculty of Letters, Arts and Sciences, Waseda University
2017.4-2020.3 JSPS Research Fellow, Kyushu University
2020.4- Assistant Professor, Waseda Institute for Advanced Studies, Waseda University
Fields of Research Interests
- MANABE, Tomohiro “Madhusūdana Sarasvatī’s Acceptance Way of the Bhāgavata Purāṇa,” Asian Culture and Thought No. 28: (1)-(31), 2020.1.
- MANABE, Tomohiro “On the Process of the Formulation of the Advaitic Vyūha Theory,” Nagoya Studies in Indian culture and Buddhism: Saṃbhāṣā 35: 49-71, 2019.3.
- MANABE, Tomohiro “Pratibimbavāda and Dṛṣṭisṛṣṭivāda: On Madhusūdana Sarasvatī’s Accepted Theory (Siddhānta),” Journal of Indian and Buddhist Studies 67-3: (28)-(33), 2019. 3.
- MANABE, Tomohiro “The Logic of Overcoming the Four Varṇa and Four Āśrama System in Madhusūdana’s Commentary on the Bhāgavatapurāṇa,” Ronshū No. 45: (125)-(144), 2018.12.
- MANABE, Tomohiro “Kṛṣṇa in Paramahaṃsapriyā,” South Asian Classical Studies No 13: 321-343, 2018.7.
- MANABE, Tomohiro “On the Significance of the Bhāgavatapurāṇa in Madhusūdana Sarasvatī’s Advaita Doctrine,” Journal of Indian and Buddhist Studies 66-3: (42)-(47), 2018. 3.
- MANABE, Tomohiro “The Kramamukti Theory of Madhusūdana Sarasvatī,” Waseda Rilas Journal No. 5: 271-279, 2017.10.
- MANABE, Tomohiro “On the Classification of the Śāstras in the Paramahaṃsapriyā,” South Asian Classical Studies No. 12: 215-234, 2017.7.
- MANABE, Tomohiro “Madhusūdana Sarasvatī’s Interpretation of Viṣṇu,” Journal of Indian and Buddhist Studies 65-3: (71)-(76), 2017. 3.
- MANABE, Tomlohiro “Adovaitagakuha niokeru shusaishinkan no henyō,” Though and Religions of Asia No. 34: (1)-(23), 2017.3.
Affiliated Academic Organizations
Association for Asian Philosophy, Waseda University
Japanese Association of Indian and Buddhist Studies
Nihon Buddhist Research Association
Association of Buddhist Philosophy
Association for Indology and Study of Religion