[Monthly Spotlight] is focusing on a researcher to introduce his/her research.
Exploring Unsolved Physical Phenomena—Quantum many-body physics with ultracold atomic gases Shun Uchino, Assistant Professor
Quantum Transport Phenomena with Strongly Interacting Cold Atomic Gases
I am interested in emergent properties of many-body systems, which consist of quantum mechanical degrees of freedom. The systems are known as quantum many-body systems and are of importance to understand ubiquitous phenomena such as superconductivity and magnetism. Especially, I am interested in behaviors of such systems in nonequilibrium. By means of cold atomic gases, I conduct studies on mesoscopic transport and open quantum systems.
Education and Academic Employment
2011.3: Ph. D (The University of Tokyo)
2011.4-2012.3: GCOE postdoctoral researcher, Kyoto University
2012.4-2015.8: Postdoctoral researcher, University of Geneva
2015.9-2018.3: Special postdoctoral researcher, RIKEN
2018.4: Lecturer, Waseda University
Fields of Research Interests
Quantum Many-body Physics, Cold Atomic Gases
- K. Fujimoto, S. Uchino, “Floquet spinor Bose gases”, Physical Review Research 1, 033132 (2019).
- H. Tajima, S. Uchino “Thermal crossover, transition, and coexistence in Fermi polaronic spectroscopies”, Physical Review A 99, 063606 (2019).
- S. Uchino, M. Ueda, J.-P. Brantut, “Universal noise in continuous transport measurements of interacting fermions”, Physical Review A 98, 063619 (2018).
- H. Tajima, S. Uchino, “Many Fermi polarons at nonzero temperature”, New Journal of Physics 20, 073048 (2018).
- S. Uchino, M. Ueda, “Anomalous transport in the superfluid fluctuation regime”, Physical Review Letters 118, 105303 (2017)
- K. Kamikado, T. Kanazawa, S. Uchino, “Mobile impurity in a Fermi sea from the functional renormalization group analytically continued to real time”, Physical Review A 95, 013612 (2017).
- T. Kanazawa, S. Uchino, “Overscreened Kondo effect, (color) superconductivity and Shiba states in Dirac metals and quark matter”, Physical Review D 94, 114005 (2016).
- S. Uchino, “Analytical approach to a bosonic ladder subject to a magnetic field”, Physical Review A 93, 053629 (2016).
- D. Husmann, S. Uchino, S. Krinner, M. Lebrat, T. Giamarchi, T. Esslinger, J.-P. Brantut, “Connecting strongly correlated superfluids by a quantum point contact”, Science 350, 1498 (2015).
- S. Uchino, A. Tokuno, “Population-imbalance instability in a Bose-Hubbard ladder in the presence of a magnetic flux”, Physical Review A 92, 013625 (2015).
- S. Uchino, “Spinor Bose gas in an elongated trap”, Physical Review A 91, 033605 (2015).
- S. Uchino, T. Giamarchi, “Two-led fermionic Hubbard ladder model in the presence of state-dependent hopping”, Physical Review A 91, 013604 (2015).
- M. Nitta, S. Uchino, W. Vinci, “Quantum exact non-Abelian vortices in non-relativistic theories”, Journal of High Energy Physics 1409, 098 (2014).
- S. Uchino, “Coleman-Weinberg mechanism in spinor Bose-Einstein condensates”, Europhysics Letters 107, 30004 (2014).
- S. Uchino, A. Tokuno, T. Giamarchi, “Unconventional superfluidity in quasi-one-dimension systems”, Physical Review A 89, 023623 (2014).
- B. Sciolla, A. Tokuno, S. Uchino, P. Barmettler, T. Giamarchi, C. Kollath, “Competition of spin and charge excitations in the one-dimensional Hubbard model”, Physical Review A 88, 063629 (2013).
- A. Tokuno, S. Uchino, “Magnetic resonance spectroscopy and characterization of magnetic phases for spinor Bose-Einstein condensates”, Physical Review A Rapid Communication 87, 061604 (2013).
- S. Uchino, N. Kawakami, “Spin-depairing transition of attractively interacting Fermi gases on a ring driven by synthetic gauge fields”, Physical Review A 85, 013610 (2012).
- Y. Hama, T. Hatsuda, S. Uchino, “Higgs mechanism with type-II Nambu-Goldstone bosons at finite chemical potential”, Physical Review D 83, 125009 (2011).
- S. Uchino, M. Kobayashi, M. Nitta, M. Ueda, “Quasi-Nambu-Goldstone modes in Bose-Einstein condensates”, Physical Review Letters 105, 230406 (2010).
- S. Uchino, M. Kobayashi, M. Ueda, “Bogoliubov theory and Lee-Huang-Yang corrections in spin-1 and spin-2 Bose-Einstein condensates in the presence of the quadratic Zeeman Effect”, Physical Review A 81, 063632 (2010).
- S. Uchino, T. Otsuka, M. Ueda, “Dynamical symmetry in spinor Bose-Einstein condensates”, Physical Review A 78, 023609 (2008).
Affiliated Academic Organizations
The Physical Society of Japan
American Physical Society
2018: Young Scientist Award of the Physical Society of Japan (Division 1)