Ph. D in Physics
Theoretical study of valence transition and cross-correlation phenomena due to valence skipping elements
Repulsive Coulomb interaction between electrons is a source of important concepts in strongly correlated electron systems such as magnetism and high-Tc superconductivity. On the other hand, in materials including specific elements called “valence skippers”, effective attractive interaction acts between electrons, so that novel physical properties emerge, e.g., colossal negative thermal expansion and magneto-electric effect. My research aims to elucidate a microscopic origin and role of valence skipping nature, and to explore new physical properties and functionality in strongly correlated materials.
Education and Academic Employment
Apr 2017-: Assistant Professor, Waseda Institute for Advanced Studies, Waseda University
Apr 2015-Mar 2017: Assistant Professor, Theoretical Condensed Matter and Statistical Physics Group, Department of Physics, Tohoku University
Apr 2014-Mar 2015: Part-time Lecturer, College of Engineering, Shibaura Institute of Technology
Apr 2013-Mar 2015: Postdoctoral Research Associate, Center for Emergent Matter Science (CEMS), RIKEN
Mar 2013: Ph. D. in Physics, Tohoku University
Fields of Research Interests
condensed matter theory, strongly correlated electron system
- Aya Nagano, Makoto Naka, Joji Nasu, Sumio Ishihara, Theory of Layered Iron Oxide on Frustrated Geometry: Electric Polarization, Magnetoelectric Effect and Orbital State, Phys. Rev. Lett., 99, 217202-1-4 (2007).
- Makoto Naka, Aya Nagano, Sumio Ishihara, Magnetodielectric phenomena in a charge- and spin-frustrated system of layered iron oxide, Phys. Rev. B, 77, 224441-1-15 (2008).
- Joji Nasu, Aya Nagano, Makoto Naka, Sumio Ishihara, Doubly degenerate orbital system in honeycomb lattice: Implication of orbital state in layered iron oxide, Phys. Rev. B, 78, 024416-1-12 (2008).
- Makoto Naka, Sumio Ishihara, Electronic Ferroelectricity in a Dimer Mott Insulator, J. Phys. Soc. Jpn., 79, 063707-1-4 (2010).
- Makoto Naka, Sumio Ishihara, Collective Charge Excitation in a Dimer Mott Insulating System, J. Phys. Soc. Jpn., 82, 023701-1-5 (2013).
- K. Itoh, H. Itoh, M. Naka, S. Saito, I. Hosako, N. Yoneyama, S. Ishihara, T. Sasaki, and S. Iwai, Collective Excitation of an Electric Dipole on a Molecular Dimer in an Organic Dimer-Mott Insulator, Phys. Rev. Lett., 110, 106401-1-5, (2013).
- Makoto Naka and Hitoshi Seo, Long-Period Charge Correlations in Charge-Frustrated Molecular θ-(BEDT-TTF)2X, J. Phys. Soc. Jpn., 83, 053706-1-5 (2014).
- Makoto Naka and Sumio Ishihara, Charge Dynamics in a Correlated Fermion System on a Geometrically Frustrated Lattice, J. Phys. Soc. Jpn., 84, 023703-1-4 (2015).
- K. Hashimoto, R. Kobayashi, H. Okamura, H. Taniguchi, Y. Ikemoto, T. Morikawa, S. Iguchi, M. Naka, S. Ishihara, and T. Sasaki, Emergence of charge degrees of freedom under high pressure in an organic dimer-Mott insulator β’-(BEDT-TTF)2ICl2, Phys. Rev. B, 92, 085149-1-7 (2015).
- Makoto Naka, Hitoshi Seo, and Yukitoshi Motome, Theory of Valence Transition in BiNiO3, Phys. Rev. Lett., 116, 056402-1-5 (2016).
- Makoto Naka and Sumio Ishihara, Magnetoelectric effect in organic molecular solids, Sci. Rep., 6, 20781-1-7 (2016).
- M. Yoshida, K. Ishii, M. Naka, S. Ishihara, I. Jarrige, K. Ikeuchi, Y. Murakami, K. Kubo, Y. Koike, T. Nagata, Y. Fukuda, N. Ikeda, and J. Mizuki, Observation of momentum-resolved charge fluctuation proximate to the charge-order phase using resonant inelastic x-ray scattering, Sci. Rep., 6, 23611-1-8 (2016).
- Makoto Naka and Sumio Ishihara, Quantum melting of magnetic order in an organic dimer Mott-insulating system, Phys. Rev. B, 93, 195114-1-5 (2016).
- Joji Nasu, Tsutomu Watanabe, Makoto Naka, and Sumio Ishihara, Phase diagram and collective excitation in excitonic insulator: from the orbital physics viewpoint, Phys. Rev. B, 93, 205816-1-15 (2016).
- Taro Tatsuno, Eriko Mizoguchi, Joji Nasu, Makoto Naka, and Sumio Ishihara, Magnetic Field Effect in a Correlated Electron System with Spin-state Degree of Freedom – Implication of an Excitonic Insulator -, J. Phys. Soc. Jpn., 85, 083706-1-5 (2016).
- Sumio Ishihara and Makoto Naka, Physical properties of electronic ferroelectric materials, kotai butsuri, AGNE Gijutsu Center, 46, 337-350 (2011).
Affiliated Academic Organizations
The Physical Society of Japan
- JPSJ Papers of Editors’ Choice (2010)
- 2017 Young Scientist Award of the Physical Society of Japan [Division 7 (Molecular Solids)]