I’m interested in telling people about my culture
I’m thinking of teaching after graduation
I want to try a volunteer activity
I want to make new Japanese friends
I like kids
If this sounds like you, then sign up for the ICC Outreach Program!
The ICC Outreach program pairs International students with students from Japan to help foster intercultural understanding in the local community. Each pair creates a lesson about the international student’s culture then presents it at a local Japanese school.
And that’s not all! This time we’ll travel to Waseda Setsuryo Junior & Senior High School in OSAKA!
The program finishes in Osaka, so you can go sightseeing in Kyoto or Osaka afterward (while taking anti-Covid measures of course)!
At the orientation ICC will explain details of the program and provide sample materials. Afterward, you and your partner will work together to prepare, practice and then present the lesson.
School: Waseda Setsuryo Junior & High School (Osaka)
Date & Time: December 17-18 (Fri-Sat)
Audience: junior high and senior high school students
Dec 2* (Thu) 10:00-11:00am Orientation @Zoom
Dec 3* (Fri) 1:00-2:00pm Orientation @Zoom *Please attend one session
Dec 9 (Thu) or Dec 10 (Fri) Lesson Plan Meeting *Times TBD
Dec 17 (Fri) Travel to Osaka
Dec 18 (Sat) Present lessons (end at 12:30)
*Participation is required at all scheduled meetings. In addition, it is necessary to meet several times with your partner in order to plan, prepare and practice the lesson. You can do this online via Zoom, LINE, etc.
Waseda Students who are able to participate in all meetings and lessons, and perform the required duties
6 International students & 6 Japanese students
School provides one-way shinkansen ticket from Tokyo Station to Osaka, one night’s accommodation at the school dormitory, dinner on Dec 17, breakfast and lunch on Dec 18.
Transportation between Tokyo and home, return trip from Osaka and incidentals are responsibility of the participant.
Register via MyWaseda
Nov 26 (Fri) 5:00pm
*Results announced on Nov 29
Participants will be chosen based on stated motivation and requirements of the host school
Although this is a volunteer program, participants will be teaching a school lesson at a scheduled time, so dropping out of the program or being late is not acceptable.
Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Measures
- We ask that those affected by the following within the previous 14 days refrain from participating in this event:
A. Those who have a fever (above 37.5°C or more than 1 degree above normal) or those experiencing flu-like symptoms or those who currently feel unwell (symptoms of fatigue, breathlessness, etc); OR
B. Those who have travelled to or have been in close contact within the previous 14 days with residents of countries or regions which are covered by immigration restrictions or quarantine requirements by the government of Japan; OR
C. Those who have family members or housemates who have shown symptoms of cold, etc.
- Participants must wear a mask at all times. Also, please observe strict hand disinfection and proper coughing & sneezing practices.
- Please bring a plastic bag for your own trash, and keep the bag tightly closed.
- Please take strict care of your health from 2 weeks before the event right through to the end (regularly check your temperature and be aware of any other symptoms). We also ask that you avoid the 3 Cs (crowds, confined spaces and close contact situations).
- If you have fever, cough or other symptoms during the event, please contact a member of staff immediately and withdraw from the event.
- If you begin to show symptoms within 1 week after the event, please notify ICC immediately.
- We ask that you follow all instructions on the day from the ICC regarding measures for the prevention of the spread of the Novel Coronavirus.
- Participation in this program may pose health and safety risks. All risks will be the responsibility of the individual.