To start the 2021 Spring semester, the ICC will again offer the popular outdoor event, hiking at Mt. Takao!
Mt. Takao is a popular choice for mountain climbing beginners, seeing 2.5 million climbers each year. It earns rave reviews from people all over the world, and is even rated a “three-star mountain” by France’s Michelin Guide! Each climb is an opportunity to create great memories.
On the trail up the mountain we will see the great Yakuouin temple, the main temple of the Shingon sect of Buddhism. Having this taste of history will only make you enjoy the hike more.
Mt. Takao is also home to a huge variety of nature and wildlife: crystal clear streams, 1600 species of plants, and over 100 different species of birds are found on the mountain. We recommend having your phone fully charged or even bringing a mobile battery to capture the precious moments you will encounter!
If you’re worried about making it to the summit, don’t panic! We will travel halfway up the mountain on Japan’s steepest cable car, which climbs a slope of 31 degrees, so even those new to hiking or climbing can get to the top!
Climbing together on this occasion is a great way to make friends with people from all over the world. We hope it will help you to create a great memory of your time at Waseda University! ICC’s student staff will hike with you, so there’s no worry about any language barrier — climbing will be our shared language!
Due to the continuing situation with COVID-19, we will take strict precautions to assure that you can enjoy the trip to its fullest: hikers will be separated in small groups, and we will wear masks and maintain social distancing throughout. There will be hand sanitizer provided for everyone, too.
Also, please bring your own lunch box as you may not be able to buy food during the hike!
We’re waiting for your application, so please sign up right away. We hope to see you there!
*Cancellation after applying is strongly discouraged. Please check your schedule carefully before applying. ICC Cancellation Policy
*There is a possibility that this program may be cancelled due to the spread of the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19). In the event of cancellation, you will be notified by the ICC.
*The capacity and program are subject to change.
*In order to reduce physical contact, you cannot share belongings among other participants.
*Before applying for this event, please be sure to read the Precautions to Prevent the Spread of the Novel Coronavirus listed below and consent to each item.
April 17th (Sat)
Place & Time
Meet at the rotary in front of Takadanobaba Sta. at 9:30am or at the ticket gate of Takaosanguchi Sta. at 10:40am.
Finish at Takaosanguchi Sta. around 3:30pm
Japanese and English
Free. Just pay your own transportation.
*We will collect the cable car fare at Takaosanguchi (approx. 900 yen) and pay as a group.
30 students, chosen by lottery if applicants exceed capacity
Required: via MyWaseda (here)
April 12th (Mon) 9:00 am
*ICC will confirm your participation by email on April 12.
Heavy rain → Cancel; Light rain → As planned
Precautions to Prevent the Spread of the Novel Coronavirus (Covid-19)
- We ask that those affected by the following not participate in this event:
・Those who have a fever (above 37.5C or more than 1 degree above normal) or symptoms of a cold or those who currently feel unwell (symptoms of fatigue, shortness of breath, etc).
・Those who, within 14 days before the event, have travelled to countries or regions or have been in close contact with residents of places which are covered by Japanese government immigration restrictions or still require a quarantine period to enter from.
・Those with housemates or family members they are living with who have shown symptoms of cold, etc.
- Participants must wear a mask at all times. Also, please observe strict hand disinfection and coughing/sneezing etiquette.
- Please bring a plastic trash bag and keep your own trash tightly closed in it.
- Please take strict care of your health for 2 weeks before until the end of the event, regularly checking your temperature and watching for any other symptoms. We also ask that you avoid the “3 Cs” (crowds, confined spaces and close contact situations) and fill in a health check form (ICC will provide the form).
- If you have a fever, cough or other symptoms during the event, we ask that you contact a member of staff immediately and withdraw from the program.
- If you begin to show symptoms within 2 weeks after the event, please notify us immediately.
- Please follow all instructions on the day from Waseda University ICC staff regarding measures for the prevention of the spread of the Novel Coronavirus.
- The “Waseda University Student Compensation System (Compensation for Disability and Liability Coverage)” provided by the university does not apply to the Novel Coronavirus.
- Participation in this program may pose health and safety risks. Furthermore, there is a risk that others may be affected due to a person’s illness. If any of the above occurs, it will be the responsibility of the person concerned.
Tel: 03-5286-3990 Email: [email protected]