Due to the state of the emergency, this program is postponed to February 25th (Thu.).
I’m interested in teaching about my culture!
I’m thinking of teaching after graduation!
I want to try a volunteer activity!
I want to make new Japanese friends!
I like kids!
If any of these sounds like you, then sign up for the ICC Outreach program!
The ICC Outreach Program pairs Japanese and international students to work together to plan and give a lesson to promote cross-cultural understanding at local Japanese elementary, junior, and senior high schools.
Details of the program will be explained the ICC orientation.
Afterward, you and your partner will work together to prepare the lesson plan and materials before the school visit.
*If the state of emergency is extended, the program on Feb. 25th (Thu.) will be held as scheduled however, it will be changed to an online format. In that case, you would participate remotely from your home.
*Before applying for this program, please be sure to read the “Precautions to Prevent the Spread of the Novel coronavirus” (below) and consent to each item.
School: Waseda University Junior High School (Nerima-ku, Tokyo)
Date : February 25th (Thu.) 1:10 – 3:00pm
【Class】3rd-year junior high school students (two 50min lessons + 10min break)
【Capacity】4 International students & 4 Japanese students
Meeting Time & Place
12:45pm @ Kamishakujii Station, Seibu Shinjuku Line (Depart by 12:25 pm from Takadanobaba station)
Introduce your country and culture (Create and practice a lesson plan together with your partner, then present it at the school)
Waseda Students who are able to participate in all the meetings and the actual school visit and perform required duties.
Register online from MyWaseda
Jan. 28th (Thu.) 9:00am, results announced on the same day.
*Be sure to check your email throughout the day on this date if you apply.
February 4th (Thu.) 12:20-12:50pm Orientation @Zoom
February 18th (Thu.) 1:10-3:00pm Lesson Plan Review [email protected]
February 25th (Thu.) 1:10-3:00pm School visit
*Participation is required at all meetings.
*In addition to the above meetings, it is necessary to meet several times with your assigned partner in order to plan, prepare and practice the lesson. You can do this online via Zoom, LINE, etc.
*On Feb. 22nd (Mon.), ICC will send to the school the Lesson Plan and PowerPoint files you submitted.
Transportation expenses will be reimbursed by the school.
Participants will be chosen after considering your reasons for applying, and also according to the details/requests from the host school.
Although this is a volunteer program, participants will be teaching a class at a scheduled time and school, and so dropping out of the program or being late is not acceptable.
Precautions to Prevent the Spread of the Novel Coronavirus
1. We ask that those affected by the following refrain from participating in this event.
・Those who have a fever (above 37.5C or more than 1 degree above normal) or symptoms of a cold, or those who currently feel unwell (symptoms of fatigue or breathlessness etc.).
・Those who have travelled to or have been in close contact with travellers from countries or regions within the previous 14 days where the government has implemented immigration restrictions or still requires a quarantine period for travellers from.
・Those who have family members they are living with and/or housemates that have shown symptoms of cold, etc.
2. We ask that participants please wear a mask at all times,and that they observe strict hand disinfection and coughing/sneezing etiquette.
3. Regarding trash, please bring a plastic trash bag with you and use it to keep your own trash, andkeep the bag tightly closed.
4. Please take strict care of your health from 2 weeks before the program right through to the end,regularly checking your temperature and watching closely for any other symptoms). We also ask that you avoid the “3 Cs” (Crowds, Confined spaces and Close–contact situations) and fill in the health check form we provide.
5. In the event that you have a fever, cough or other symptoms during the program, we ask that you contact a member of staff immediately and that you withdraw from the program.
6. In the event that you begin to show symptoms within 2 weeks after the end of the program,we ask that you notify us immediately.
7. We ask that you follow all instructions fromWaseda University Junior High School on the day regarding measures for the prevention of the spread of the Novel Coronavirus.
8. The “WasedaUniversity Student Compensation System (Compensation for Disability and Liability Coverage)” which is a university program, does not apply to the Novel Coronavirus.
9. Participation in this program may pose health and safety risks. Furthermore, there is a risk that the event itself may be disrupted due to a person’s illness.
If any of the above occurs, it will be the responsibility of the person concerned.
E-mail: [email protected]