Center for International EducationWaseda University

From Waseda


Information Search

Even before selecting a studying abroad program, the first thing you have to do is to think about and plan your future career path after make your future plan after graduation. Having a clear vision for the future helps you decide what you need when you select universities and which program is the best for you. What is the best program for you? There are several options: short term language programs, TSA /ISA with studying language and taking regular subjects, or exchange programs, Double Degree program. You can study abroad through two ways: privately funded studying abroad or studying abroad programs offered by Waseda University. Firstly, please consider your objectives, language proficiency, which year you are in, partner universities, curriculums, fees and others. Then, look up the programs offered by Waseda University and consider whether those programs meet your needs and objectives. Also consider the costs associated with each program.

Now, let’s narrow down the programs. First, choose a long term or a short term program. If a long term would be better for you, compare TSA, ISA and exchange programs, Double Degree program. For you who have narrowed down to ISA TSA or exchange programs, Double Degree program, we now should examine the following points: which country and area, in a city or in countryside, state university or private university, university or small college like Liberal Arts College, etc. The most important thing is whether or not the university offers the courses you wish to study. Therefore, it takes much time to collect information and exam it before you make a decision. It is, however, impossible to visit a number of universities to their information. Using the internet, by entering the course name you wish to take or geographical conditions, allows you to collect information and narrow down from numerous universities. You may find Waseda partner universities while researching, that could be your host university. At the same time, check university rankings and the experience reports by students on previous programs. It is also a good idea to make a rough estimate of tuition fees and other expenses. After doing these, you can then narrow down universities to around 10 or so which may meet your needs. Then, go to those universities’ websites to obtain their latest information.

Please note that the experience reports are written from students’ own perspectives, so it is not recommended to choose university based ONLY on these. When you check the universities ranking, don’t refer to the ranking of the university but refer to the course you wish to take.

Once you have officially accepted, you are able to acquire email address of students who have joined the same program before. Please make a request to staff at Information room. Please be aware that you will be informed only with their agreement as it is personal information. You can also ask for various advice concerning study abroad such as life and study to “student study abroad advisor” who have joined study abroad program before. Please ask CIE staff for further information.

CIE will handout a program list when the recruitment begins. The same information will also be posted on CIE website. Please confirm the detailed information and conditions by clicking the “Program Overview” section on the website before applying. Booklet of the “program overview”is available for reference in the Information room (Nishi-waseda campus 3rd Fl in Building #22.) and Okubo, Tokorozawa, Honjo, and Kita-Kyushu campuses.

Almost all partner universities have websites for international students. Please refer to the URL on the “Program Overview”. Also, you can acquire information from a host university’s HP by clicking “Exchange Student” or “International Students” from “International Office” or “Admission” section.

Unfortunately, CIE does not guarantee your preferred course registration. There is a possibility that you cannot take courses that you wish or even you can be rejected to enroll as an exchange student because of the course availability. Please understand beforehand, especially if you are a graduate student.

CIE answers to your question at Information Room on the 3rd floor in Building #22. Regular open hours are Monday to Friday, 12:00 to 17:00. (It is closed during long holidays or unavoidable reasons). Here you can read catalogs of partner universities and reports of students who have been to study abroad programs.

Studying abroad programs

You can study the courses of your choice only if they are available at partner universities. You need to confirm this on your own. Please note that not all the subjects at the partner university are available to international students, which means you may not be able to take the subjects you want even though they are available at the university. This is because of the following reasons: regulations between Waseda and the partner universities, student numbers for the subjects are limited and so forth. Some partner universities change the subjects they offer each academic year. Therefore, although you find the subject you want is available at the partner university according to the application guidebook or others, you may be required to change the subject or be refused registration subjects after the host university’s screening. Graduate students may face this kind of case more often (especially in North America and Europe).

The Center for International Education offers these programs mainly the during Spring and Summer vacations to study language for a duration of two to four weeks. Students study at partner universities in Germany, Korea, China and in English speaking countries every year. The program provides students with not only language study but also extracurricular programs (sightseeing and cultural experience). The credits you earn may be transferred to Waseda if your school/department recognizes the programs.

Another advantage is that the partner universities offer some courses with reasonable tuition fees and living expenses. The students will study in the programs designed only for Waseda students and may also study in regular university programs. This could be a good chance for students who are interested in studying abroad for longer term in the future to get to know about the country and its language.

The first difference is cost. Exchange programs cost less in terms of the tuition fees, especially if the host university is more expensive than Waseda University.On the other hand, privately financed study abroad costs you less, in cases where tuition fees of the host university are less expensive than those of Waseda University. (The tuition fees may be exempted in some universities in Germany and Southern Europe.) However, privately financed students should pay the exempted tuition fees at the time of their graduation in case they graduate from Waseda University within four years including the period of studying abroad because the credits earned at the host university were transferred towards your credits at Waseda University.

With the exchange program, the Center for International Education (CIE) will help you go through the application procedures and you are eligible for the study abroad scholarships. With privately financed study abroad, you have to go through the procedures on your own. If you are an undergraduate student, you have little chance to receive scholarships. The students in the Waseda program will receive assistance in case of any trouble; however, the privately financed students have to deal with them on their own. Private students (not on the program) need to confirm about credit transfer in advance. Also, please be aware that your registration status, “studying abroad” or “leave of absence”, varies depending on institutional and course.

Note: Treatment for private funded study abroad is subject to change for students enrolled after 2006.

If the partner university opens its courses to public (eligible individuals), it doesn’t matter whether you are on the program or at your expense. That means you can apply to one of the partner universities. However, the programs or assistance prepared for the students on the program are not available to you. To avoid any confusion between your undergraduate/graduate school and the host university, you must make clear that “you are not on the Waseda program but an independently/privately financed student applying to the university” at the time of application. Note that privately financed students are also required to complete the appropriate procedures at their undergraduate/graduate school.

Language requirement for application is low, and 10 to 40 students will be accepted. The main purpose of the beginning of the program is to “improve language skill”. Some universities offer students opportunity to contribute to local community. There is an advisor system through which you can receive counseling by local advisor for worries of academic and everyday life. However, as the programs are developed especially for Waseda students, there are restrictions in taking college courses in the most cases. Also, the opportunities to take regular college courses are limited as you are required to take language courses in the beginning of the programs.

At the host university, credit is not offered for extracurricular activities that are not included in official course. At Waseda please confirm with your department in person.

Eligibility, tuition, and your enrollment status are different. For Exchange programs, both undergraduate and graduate students are eligible to apply, and your registration status will be “study abroad”. Your tuition is paid to your respective faculty or research institution. For ISA programs, only undergraduate students are eligible to apply, and your registration status will be “registered”. You will pay the amount of program tuition to the host university through Waseda University. Except for these two differences, both are actually similar.

You may receive degrees from both the host university and Waseda University at graduation by study abroad. Peking University and Fudan University have recruited in fall 2005. You may receive a degree at the host university when you graduate Waseda University, if you fulfill the requirements. Applicants must have excellent language skills as the program is taught in local language.

Costs for studying abroad

Tuition fees and other fees could cost you approximately from 1 million yen to 3 million yen annually. (This varies by university, country and region.) Columbia University and Pennsylvania University cost around 4 million yen per year. You also need to pay for lodging, food fees and fees other than the tuition. The living expenses vary a lot by country and region so research this in advance. While you are away on the program, you do not need to pay tuition to Waseda University.

The “Program fee” is a required expense to students who study abroad with TSA/ISA program. By paying this “Program Fee”, the both tuition of Waseda and the host university are exempted during studying abroad.

  • Operation fee of the host university
    This includes tuition, program development, and operation fees that claimed to Waseda University from host universities.
  • Program development and operation fees of Waseda University.
    Necessary expense for Waseda University in order to develop and operate programs.
    Please confirm fee break down as some university includes meal and room in the TSA/ISA program fee.
    Please deposit the “Program Fee” to the specified account of Waseda University. From this amount, Waseda University will send your host university’s program operation fee.

Screening process

Yes, you can. Students were allowed to apply to a maximum of 9 universities (maximum 4 schools of English program that requires interview +maximum 5 other schools of English and non-English program) for the 2005 fall recruitment (departure in 2006). Research in details about universities as much as possible and select the partner universities which meet your study/research plan. It is recommended to make a list of them in order of your preference. It is also possible to apply to an exchange program partner university and a TSA/ISA partner university at the same time.

Please note that withdrawal is not permitted once you are nominated by Waseda University.

Your English should be proficient enough in order to study in English speaking countries. In order to study in other countries, you should be proficient enough in each local language. You are generally required to submit the score report of the relevant language proficiency test together with the application documents. Please note that required scores vary by university. You are required to obtain the necessary TOEFL score at the time of application if you are to apply to the universities in English speaking countries and the universities which conduct classes in English.

There are language proficiency tests for languages other than English. It is recommended that you take the related test in advance. Take the test far before the application deadline since the certification may not be sent by the application deadline.

Please note that the scores on the CIE website and from other sources may still be from last year. Please check the latest information since the scores may have been changed. You are encouraged to try to obtain as high a score as possible because the score requirements of partner universities are the minimum acceptable marks to be considered for acceptance. The higher the score is, the higher chance to be selected.

You will need 3.0 of GPA or above to apply Exchange programs, but not for TSA/ISA programs. Please confirm with Program Overview as some university’s requirement is higher than 3.0.

Some universities require students to submit the newest transcript. If your GPA is lower than the requirement at that time, you won’t pass the screening by the host university. Therefore, you will need to keep studying even after passing in-school screening.

Students are selected based on overall consideration of their GPA, TOEFL, a study and research plan, interview and other application requirements. Students with higher standing are placed at their first preference, which means academic standing including language proficiency comes before your university preferences on screening. Whether you will be selected or not largely depends on how hard you study everyday.

Being selected by Waseda University means you have become a successful candidate to the partner university. Even though you satisfy all the requirements, the final decision will be made by the host university. It may be just prior to your departure when you receive the final decision. Even after you are admitted, you may not travel to the host country since visa has not been issued.

Yes. Waseda University doesn’t screen students on the basis of their nationalities. For some countries, however, it may take time to gain visa since the visa regulations to travel to certain countries are different from those of Japan. It is recommended to contact your embassy or consulate and make sure in advance. Without the proper visa, you may not travel to the host country even after you are selected by Waseda University and admitted by the host university.

Enrollment status at Waseda University while studying abroad

Your status will be “leave of absence” when your program does not fall in the category of “studying abroad”. Your status will be “leave of absence” in the following cases: your program period is too short, studying hours are not sufficient, study content is not as high as the university’s, the institution you attend is not admitted as the higher education institution and so forth. The criteria vary by each undergraduate/graduate school.

Studying and living in the host country

You are allowed to choose subjects from a wide range of selections, regardless of which year or what faculty you are in. However, this system slightly varies by countries and undergraduate/graduate school. Please note that you may not take the subjects you wish if your language proficiency is not enough or you haven’t learned them long enough. In the application documents, you need to write down the subjects you wish to take. Please note that whether or not this will be considered official registration depends on each university. You may be asked to register for subjects at the host university.

A part-time job is not permitted in most countries due to the visa regulations. You need to estimate a rough budget for a one year program prior to the application. Don’t count on income from working in the host country to cover tuition fees and living expenses. Make sure to consult with your sponsor (s)(i.e. your family).

Living expenses means every expense other than tuition fees. What you need largely varies by the host country, region, and university. The expenses other than tuition, such as accommodation, food, textbooks, transportation, allowance and etc. should be considered.

This varies by host university. The host university provides accommodation (dormitory or home stay) for the students on TSA and ISA programs. For exchange programs, the host university arranges dormitories if available. You are recommended to start the application process for a dormitory as soon as you receive the acceptance from the host university.

The program is designed for one year. You are, basically, not allowed to withdraw from the program. However, if it is difficult for you to continue under certain circumstances, please contact your undergraduate/graduate school office and the Center for International Education before making your final decision.

The program period is basically for one year and you are required to return to the university after completing the program. The students on the programs are not allowed to extend the period, however, privately financed students may be allowed to. Consult with your host university and your undergraduate/graduate school.Then, if it is possible, apply for the extension. If the extension is permitted, you have to pay the tuition fees to the host university and half of the tuition fees of the program period to Waseda University according to the studying abroad regulation.

Note: Treatment for private funded study abroad is subject to change for students enrolled after 2006.

After returning to Japan

All students must submit the program completion report. You are expected to share your experience and give advice to prospective students. Please complete the report, share your experience and give advice about studying abroad during the orientation in Spring and Autumn.

You can obtain the format at the CIE or you can download the reports from the CIE website. (CIE is arranging the submission of the program completion report to be done online by entering the form via waseda-net portal.) Your reports are precious source for the prospective students. The reports are important for you as well because they are the evidence that you have completed the program. Without the reports, nothing can prove that you have studied abroad and your credits earned at the host university may not be recognized.

Besides above, there are necessary procedures in your respective school.

Page Top
WASEDA University

The Waseda University official website
<<>> doesn't support your system.

Please update to the newest version of your browser and try again.


Suporrted Browser