Continuing Job-Hunting Activities after Graduation (Accurate as of April 2, 2018)
Degree-seeking international students are allowed to change their status of residence to “Designated Activities” and stay in Japan for a maximum of about one year after graduating. The visa is valid for 6 months and may be renewed only once for a maximum of one year. Furthermore, “permission to engage in activity other than that permitted under the status of residence previously granted” for up to 28 hours per week and re-entry permit are given per separate application. Please note that non-degree-seeking students, such as students studying at WASEDA University for learning Japanese language, exchange students and research students are NOT eligible.
The following documents are required in order to support your application.
- Documents certifying your ability to cover all expenses to be incurred during your stay in Japan In the event a person other than yourself is to defray expenses, present a document substantiating the person’s defraying ability and a statement describing the background.
- Diploma or certificate of graduation or certificate of expected graduation from the university enrolled in just before application (Waseda University graduates may obtain copies from one of the automated certificate-issuing machines. Copies are made available on or after March 15 for March graduation, and on September 15 or later for September graduation. If you are not able to obtain it from the automated certificate-issuing machines, please contact your school office.
- Recommendation letter from the university enrolled in just before application*1
- Documents verifying you have continued full-time job-hunting*2
The Career Center will issue the recommendation letter on condition that you satisfy the following.
- a. You started job-hunting when you were enrolled in the University as a full-time student and have continued activities to date.
- b. You have completed the registration procedures, “進路希望登録” , through MyWaseda.
- c. You have submitted or intend to submit “推薦状発行願” , a pdf document used to request your recommendation letter, and “就職活動経過報告書” , a pdf document used to report your job-hunting activities, to the Career Center. Note that the description of your job-hunting activities in the report must be verified objectively. Keep record of your activities (schedule, interview, group discussion, seminars, etc.) and, if any, retain written correspondence such as announcements and e-mails from companies to attach to the report. The report will suffice (4) above which, along with your application, will be submitted to the Regional Immigration Bureau.
- Please note that the issue date of documents (evidence of job-hunting) to be submitted must be within the LAST THREE MONTHS prior to the date of recommendation letter application, and there must be at least ONE evidence which shows your full-time job-hunting activities WHILE still enrolled at the University as a student, if you are applying for the recommendation letter after you graduate from WASEDA University.
E.g.1. Still Enrolled in University –
If the recommendation letter application date is July 1, 2018, the date of the job-hunting documents (evidence) must be after April 2, 2018. April 1, 2018 and/ or before will not be valid.
E.g.2. Graduated from University
If you graduated on March 31, 2018, but only visited the Career Center to apply for the recommendation letter on May 1, 2018, you must show at least ONE evidence of full-time job-hunting activities, while still being enrolled at the University. That one evidence must be between February 2 to March 31, 2018. Any evidence AFTER April 1 CANNOT be used on its own, as you have officially graduated from the University. We will strongly advise that you apply for the change BEFORE you graduate.
- The Career Center will NOT be able to issue any recommendation letters to applicants who have graduated from the University for more than THREE months, even if he/ she possesses “job-hunting evidence and documents while still being enrolled at the University”. E.g. You graduated on March 31, 2018, and you returned to the Career Center to apply for a recommendation letter on July 24, 2018. You had an evidence of job-hunting on March 23, 2018. However, the evidence has passed the three-month limit. The Career Center will NOT be able to issue any recommendation letter.
- After you graduate, please possess a valid visa (one that suits your status and purpose of stay) to remain in Japan legally.