FAQ for Admission

If applicants would like to apply for our program, please read the “GSAPS Application Guide for Admissions”.

General Questions for Admission

  • Q: How can I get the GSAPS Brochure?

    A: You can download the digital brochure from our website:
    Also we will send the paper-based brochure to those who live in Japan upon request through our site below.
  • Q: How can I get the Application Guide and Application Forms?

    A: You can download them from our website:
  • Q: What does the Admission Office consider most important out of application documents?

    MA : Admission will be considered in a comprehensive manner, taking all documents into consideration including academic and career backgrounds, language proficiency, reference(s), and essays. For applicants applying from inside of Japan, the results of the second admission test will be also considered.
    PhD: Admission will be considered in a comprehensive manner, taking the results of the second Screening and all documents into consideration: documents include Master’s thesis, academic and career backgrounds, language proficiency, reference(s), and essays.
  • Q: Can I apply even without majoring in International Relations?

    A: You can still apply for our programs with a degree from a different field. GSAPS widely accepts competent applicants from Japan and abroad.
  • Q: Is it possible to apply twice in one year?

    A: Yes, it is possible.
  • Q: Should I contact desired professor(s) before submitting my applications?

    A: You don’t have to. However, if you wish to contact our faculty, please write your message and send it by e-mail to GSAPS Office:[email protected] We will forward it for you. Please note that contact during application periods is NOT allowed.
  • Q: Are previous exam questions for the second screening released?

    A: MA: A sample essay question for the second screening can be found on our website.
    PhD: Written exam questions are not disclosed.
  • Q: What are “Scholarships Admissions”?

    A: GSAPS conducts the scholarship admission scheme. Applicants are able to apply for admission and a scholarship at the same time and also to know the result of scholarship nomination before matriculation. Some scholarships offered through this scheme are full scholarships which cover tuition fees and offer the monthly stipend. Application conditions depend on each scholarship. Please refer to the scholarship information from the following webpage.


Language Proficiency

  • Q: Do I need a score of Japanese Language Proficiency Test (N1)?

    A: International applicants who wish to take courses in Japanese must submit it.
  • Q: Do I need a proof of English proficiency?

    A: Non-English native, international applicants who wish to take courses in English and Japanese applicants must submit a proof of English Proficiency.
  • Q: Is there a base score for Japanese Language Proficiency Test and/or English Proficiency test?

    A: No, there is no base score.
  • Q: Is there any period of validity for the proof of Language proficiency?

    A: No, there is no specific term of validity for language proof.


Application Documents

  • Q: I cannot meet the submission deadline for the transcript and/or diploma because I have not graduated yet. What should I do?

    A: Please send in your expected certificate of graduation along with your official transcript at the time of application. The submission of the final transcript and diploma will be requested upon admission.
  • Q: I cannot find a suitable person to fill out my evaluation form. What should I do?

    A: If you don’t have anyone who is (was) your professor/academic advisor or superior at work, please find someone equivalent who can evaluate you properly based on the designated evaluation form.



  • Q: Is it possible to take only certain courses as an auditing student?

    A: No. We do not accept the application for “Non-degree student”, which takes only certain courses now.
  • Q: Are there any information sessions?

    A: GSAPS annually organizes an event called “Open School” in July. In addition, there will be a GSAPS booth at an event called the “Information Sessions for Graduate School Programs” organized by Waseda University (annually held in June), and GSAPS might be represented at other recruitment events. For details, please visit the GSAPS website.