- Master’s Thesis Research Plan
- Eligibility to submit MA thesis
- Master’s Thesis Writing Guidelines
- Items to be submitted
- Master’s Thesis Examiners
- Criteria for Master’s Theses at the Graduate School of Asia-Pacific Studies
|Master’s Thesis Plan||Ms-WORD|
|Template of Summary||Ms-WORD|
|Attestation of Authorship||Ms-WORD|
|Cover of thesis||Ms-WORD|
|Front cover of thesis folder (for the binder)||Ms-WORD|
Master’s Thesis Research Plan
September Completion：March in the same year
March Completion：September in the previous year
Who to submit
*The contents, deadline, and other details regarding submission should be confirmed with supervisor in advance to the designated deadline.
Download from here (Approx 3 pages. A4)
Eligibility to submit MA thesis
- Those who obtained/are expected to obtain the designated 22 credits
- Those who have submitted MA thesis research plan
Master’s Thesis Writing Guidelines
・In Japanese or English
・A top margin 35mm and a margin of 30mm on all remaining sides
Download a thesis cover from here and change parts in red.
Times New Roman
About 8,500 words excluding the title, table of contents, a list of reference and space
*Put the count in the designated section on the front cover.
How to prepare
Refer to the list of items below, bind the documents in a folder, and stick cover sheets on the front and back.
*2 hole binder recommended (purchasable at the CO-OP)
The sample is available in the Office.
*Make sure to seek instruction from your supervisor regarding how to write a thesis and other academic matters.
A4・1page・1,400 words (about)
Download the format from here.
Items to be submitted
Blank paper＋Summary＋Blank paper＋Cover＋Thesis＋Blank paper
※Bind the documents in an above mentioned order.
|Summary （Another separated copy for 「Master’s Thesis Summary」）||1|
|Attestation of Authorship||1|
PDF and Word files （USB/CD-R) of thesis and summary
Word and PDF for thesis and summary
Check before submission!
・Are the titles written on the thesis and summary exactly same? (Upper/lowercase letters/－,; etc)
・Are the names of supervisor/deputy-supervisor correct?
・Can the files of thesis/summary be opened without problem?
・Have both PDF and Word files been prepared?
・Was the front cover of thesis folder (front and back) stack to properly?
・Have the files been saved for your own record? （As a rule, the Office does not return the data.）
（as of 20 June 2017）
|September 15, 2017 Completion|
|April 4, 2017||Submission deadline of Master’s thesis plan by the Project Advisor to the GSAPS Office|
|May 24, 2017||Announcement of the deputy-examiner|
|June 30, 2017||
・Master’s thesis submission deadline by the Project Advisor to the GSAPS office. Please check with your Project Advisor for the pre-submission deadline fixed by him / her.
|July 1 – July 28, 2017||Thesis screening period|
|July 29, 2017||Final Oral Examination|
|September 11, 2017||Examination Result Announcement|
|September 16, 2017 (Decided)||Commencement Ceremony|
|March 15, 2018 Completion|
|September 28, 2017||Submission deadline of Master’s thesis plan by the Project Advisor to the GSAPS Office|
|November 15, 2017||Announcement of the deputy-examiner|
|January 11, 2018||・Master’s thesis submission deadline by the Project Advisor to the GSAPS office. Please check with your Project Advisor for the pre-submission deadline fixed by him / her.
・Announcement of timetable for Master Program’s Final Examinations
(Posted on the bulletin board and Website)
|January 12 – January 26, 2018||Thesis screening period|
|January 27, 2018||Final Oral Examination|
|March 14, 2018||Examination Result Announcement|
|March 24, 2018 (Tentative)||Commencement Ceremony|
Master’s Thesis Examiners
Master’s thesis examiners: one chief examiner and two deputy-examiners.
Criteria for Master’s Theses at the Graduate School of Asia-Pacific Studies (September 18th 2014, uploaded)
Originality and insightfulness of perspective, methodology, content, and conclusion
- Appropriateness and importance of thesis topic
- Appropriateness of structure of thesis for addressing the thesis topic
- Effective use of existing research and contribution to the field
- Appropriate substantiation of data and materials
- Strength and persuasiveness of argumentation in the development of the thesis
- Accurateness, appropriateness and completeness in the use of terminology and concepts
- Clarity and accurateness of language
- Accurateness, appropriateness, and completeness of quotations, citations, use of materials and structure of the bibliography
- Excellence of thesis as a contribution to the fields of Area Studies, International Relations, and/or International Cooperation / Policy Studies
- Consult with your supervisor for details on research plan and thesis submission.
- The date and schedule of oral examination will be notified on the notification board/MyWaseda.
- Thesis and summary will become available in the GSAPS library.
- School Policy on “Plagiarism” in Term Paper and Thesis