For Alumni For Prospective Students For Researchers For Alumni


Since Waseda University has a very limited number of rooms intended for exchange students from overseas institutions under academic exchange agreements, other international students are required to make their own housing arrangements through negotiation with their guarantors and other acquaintances in Japan. The following dormitories and apartments accommodate either international students exclusively, or both Japanese and international students. Please contact them directly for further information.

1.Waseda International Dormitory(WID) (2005.1.28 UPDATED)

2.Types of PrivateAccommodation

1. Apartments Either a room only, or a room equipped with kitchen, bath, and toilet. For a room only, shared kitchen, bath, and toilet facilities of are provided. Most apartments in Japan are built of wood or are prefabricated.

2. Mansion (condominiums) The inside of a mansion is almost the same as an apartment; however, a mansion is usually made of ferro-concrete. Much higher rents are charged in general, compared to apartments. Lodgings (Kashima) Lodging with a Japanese family was once popular among Japanese students. Usually, meals are not provided, with the lodger sharing the toilet, laundry facilities, and sometimes the kitchen and bathroom, with the Japanese family.

3. Boarding houses The boarding system is similar to lodging, with meals (breakfast and dinner) provided. There are also some boarding houses resembling dormitories called GESYUKUYA-SAN, where a lot of students share housing near the university.

4. Homestay Students live as a member of a Japanese family, usually for a short period. If an extension of the homestay period is wanted, the boarding student should seek the host family’s agreement.

3.Accommodation Charges

There are great differences in the charges for accommodation in large cities, as compared to rural areas. Even within a big city, much will depend on access to transportation, or distance from the center of the city.
It goes without saying that charges vary according to the size and appearance of the room and to the facilities provided.
In Japan, it is customary to pay a lump sum of money before taking up residence, in the form of key-money (non-returnable) and a deposit, in addition to one month’s rent in advance.

KEY-MONEY (non-returnable)
A person renting a house or room in Japan generally pays a certain amount of money to the owner as a gratuity. The amount of money is equivalent to about 2 months’ rent.

The deposit is paid to the owner as security for any failure to pay the rent. This is refunded when a tenant leaves the house, unless there has been any failure to pa the rent, or damage to the room. The amount of money is equivalent to about 1 or 2 months’ rent.

The Public Amenities Charge is sometimes included in the rent. If not, it covers the electricity and water supply charges for common areas, the charge for removing garbage, and a charge for the cleaning of the apartment.

4.On Looking for Accommodation

5.Types of PrivateAccommodation

1. Where can a student get advice?

a. At the Student Affairs and Welfare Division (Student Center)

b. At the Center for International Education of Waseda University

c. At a Foreign Students Information Office:

1. Center for Domestic and Foreign Students, Foreign Students' Housing Guidance Corner Address: 1-21 Yotsuya, Shinjuku-ku, 160-0004 Phone: 03-3359-5997 (Map)

2. Voluntary Group Counseling & Assistance for Students from Abroad Address: Kenmotsu Bldg. 1 4th Floor, 2-44-9 Tomigaya, Shibuya-ku, 151-0063 Phone: 03-3465-7550 (Map)

d. Private Real estate Agents

Private Real Agents for apartments or mansions can easily be found around the railway stations with a large signboard saying “XXXX Fudosan” (real estate). Details of room vacancies are posted in the window.

e. Housing magazines

Many housing magazines are sold in the bookstores or vending booths at railway stations.

6.Points To Remember When Renting an Accommodation

When a student finds a satisfactory room, a contract should be signed between the owner and the tenant. After moving into the room, please keep in mind the following.

a. When you sign the contract, a Japanese guarantor is usually required to be present. A student ought to pay attention to the details of the contract and make sure of the points he or she has to understand before signing the contract. In case such a person is not available, thee contract can be guaranteed by Waseda University under the condition that a student signs up the Comprehensive Renter’s Insurance for Foreign Students. Further details can be obtained at the Center for International Education.

b. The contract for renting a room is effective for 2 years. If a student wants to rent a room for only several months or one year, for example, he or she ought to try to negotiate with the owner to reduce the amount of deposit money or key-money.

c. Monthly payment of rent According to the Japanese custom, rent is paid on a monthly basis, with the rent for the next month usually paid byin advance, at the end of the month.

d. You should inform the owner one month in advance if you intend to leave the room. If you leave the room without any advance notice, a further one month's rent might be charged by the owner. This sum of money is usually deducted from the deposit money.

e. You should leave the room in the same condition as when you moved in. If you have put nails in the wall, or left any dirty stains in the room, you will have to compensate for thee damage. Therefore, you should clean up the room and invite the owner to check it thoroughly. Deposit Your deposit money will be refunded afterwards.

7.Important Advice for International Students Intending to Move into Japanese Lodgings or Apartment

Over half of the students going towho consult thee International student Services are seeking information on accommodations. Deposit our efforts to gain the cooperation of the people in of Tokyo to in provide providing better conditions for foreign students, trouble hasproblems have occurred among involving some international students unaware of thee customs and conditions of renting real estate in Japan. For the most part, this arises from differences in customs and misunderstandings, yet some landlords who have had trouble once with international students are not longer willing to let out to them again. Hence wWe hope those that students moving into a room will bear this in mind, as one individual’s conduct can reflect badly on the foreign student community as a whole, We advise you, therefore, to keep the following things in mind when renting Japanese accommodations.

1. Permission from the landlord is absolutely necessary when persons other than covered bythose stated in the contract are to live in the room.

2. Permission is also essential from the landlord even for overnight stays by friends.
Always seek the landlord's permission without fail before allowing anyone to stay overnight.

3. Family or relatives are not allowed to stay for long periods of time.
Permission is also required for even family or relatives to stay overnight. When members of a student's immediate family, members or relatives, are coming to visit Japan, the landlord should be consulted and his/her permission granted beforehand.

4. Once the contract has been signed, rent and any key-money paid will not be refunded even when if you later change your mind and decide not to take the room.
Please consider carefully before making a decision to sign a contract, as canceling the contract may cause a great deal of trouble for all concerned.

5. Rent in Japan is paid on a monthly basis, one month in advance, and is usually due by the last day of the month to cover the following month's rent.
When a contract is completed concluded midway through the month, that month's rent is calculated on a daily basis and will be due immediately at the time of terminating signing the contract. When contracts are completed towards the end of the month, the rent for the following month must also be paid immediately.

7.Company Dormitories

Some private Japanese companies will rent extra rooms to international students. All such rooms are privately-owned and the rent is inexpensive, around 20,000 yen per month, including breakfast and dinner (utilities not included). However, these dorms are often limited to single men and may have a curfew. If you can abide by these rules, company dormitories are a good choice. for living
in How to apply:
Applications are usually available in April or May. See the CIE bulletin board for more details.

8.The Comprehensive Renter's Insurance for Foreign Students

Generally speaking, in order to rent an apartment commercially offered in Japan, you will need a guarantor. This insurance policy includes coverage that provides protection against loss of use of your apartment if it is damaged by a covered risk, such as fire, and it also protects your guarantor against unexpected trouble, . An individual standing guarantee for you will make it easier by alleviating a variety of burdens, both mental and financial, as your guarantor. The amount of premium to be paid for this insurance is 7,500 yen for the a 1-year term and 14,000 yen for the a 2-year term. Further details may by obtained at the CIE.